This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Gary Sinise Foundation’s Snowball Express, which gathers Gold Star families of fallen US military service members together at Disney World for five days of support and fun, was once again in full swing this weekend — and they certainly had the weather for it. This year, American Airlines flew 1,722 children and their guardians to Orlando for the event. AA reports that around 1,000 employees volunteered their time, which the company says is an employee favorite — and it’s clear that’s the case.
12 AA chartered flights gathered the families from all over the United States for the journey down to Orlando (MCO).
Sinise, who famously played the Lieutenant Dan in the movie Forrest Gump, has been involved with the Snowball Express for 12 years, and last year made it an official program of his foundation.
The trip is about more than just fun (although we’re pretty sure most families were looking forward to events like the Lt. Dan Band concert). It also is an opportunity for these families to find support. The Gary Sinise Foundation supports veterans, first responders and their families, and provides resources for counseling, college scholarships and help with medical and military benefits. For more information visit the foundation’s website.
Featured Image by @RossFeinstein via Twitter
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards