This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Gary Sinise Foundation’s Snowball Express, which gathers Gold Star families of fallen US military service members together at Disney World for five days of support and fun, was once again in full swing this weekend — and they certainly had the weather for it. This year, American Airlines flew 1,722 children and their guardians to Orlando for the event. AA reports that around 1,000 employees volunteered their time, which the company says is an employee favorite — and it’s clear that’s the case.
12 AA chartered flights gathered the families from all over the United States for the journey down to Orlando (MCO).
Sinise, who famously played the Lieutenant Dan in the movie Forrest Gump, has been involved with the Snowball Express for 12 years, and last year made it an official program of his foundation.
The trip is about more than just fun (although we’re pretty sure most families were looking forward to events like the Lt. Dan Band concert). It also is an opportunity for these families to find support. The Gary Sinise Foundation supports veterans, first responders and their families, and provides resources for counseling, college scholarships and help with medical and military benefits. For more information visit the foundation’s website.
Featured Image by @RossFeinstein via Twitter
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees