Smoke From California Wildfires Affects SFO, Visible From LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The western United States has been ravaged by wildfires this year, particularly along the California coast. Terrifying satellite images from NASA’s Earth Observatory show that the latest series of fast-moving fires, including Thursday morning’s Camp Fire 90 miles north of Sacramento, is visible all the way from space.
Now the worst fire in California history is beginning to disrupt air traffic operations at San Francisco International Airport (SFO). United and American have already issued waivers, and other airlines are monitoring the situation to consider following suit. The official airport SFO Twitter account stated Friday that “Butte County wildfires are impacting some flights at SFO. The devastating wildfires are causing unhealthy air quality conditions, reduced visibility, and widespread smoke and haze. SFO is experiencing some delays and cancellations. Please check with your airline for flight details.” Saturday morning’s inbound flights were experiencing delays averaging around 48 minutes due to compromised visibility, according to FlightAware. In further bad news, the San Jose Mercury News meteorologists anticipate that lack of wind means that the smoke will stick around at least through the weekend.
370-odd miles to the south, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has yet to be directly impacted by the separate wildfires raging in the region, although the smoke cloud can be clearly seen from the airport.
Interested in donating to wildfire victims and relief? You can earn United miles while you’re at it by donating to any of several organizations that have partnered with the carrier.
This post has been updated to clarify that the smoke visible at LAX is from the Southern California wildfires.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees