Smoke From California Wildfires Affects SFO, Visible From LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The western United States has been ravaged by wildfires this year, particularly along the California coast. Terrifying satellite images from NASA’s Earth Observatory show that the latest series of fast-moving fires, including Thursday morning’s Camp Fire 90 miles north of Sacramento, is visible all the way from space.
Now the worst fire in California history is beginning to disrupt air traffic operations at San Francisco International Airport (SFO). United and American have already issued waivers, and other airlines are monitoring the situation to consider following suit. The official airport SFO Twitter account stated Friday that “Butte County wildfires are impacting some flights at SFO. The devastating wildfires are causing unhealthy air quality conditions, reduced visibility, and widespread smoke and haze. SFO is experiencing some delays and cancellations. Please check with your airline for flight details.” Saturday morning’s inbound flights were experiencing delays averaging around 48 minutes due to compromised visibility, according to FlightAware. In further bad news, the San Jose Mercury News meteorologists anticipate that lack of wind means that the smoke will stick around at least through the weekend.
370-odd miles to the south, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has yet to be directly impacted by the separate wildfires raging in the region, although the smoke cloud can be clearly seen from the airport.
Interested in donating to wildfire victims and relief? You can earn United miles while you’re at it by donating to any of several organizations that have partnered with the carrier.
This post has been updated to clarify that the smoke visible at LAX is from the Southern California wildfires.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.