Smoke in Cockpit Causes Delta Flight to Make Emergency Landing in Fargo
A Delta Air Lines flight had to conduct an emergency landing on Thursday after smoke was reported in the cockpit.
The Boeing 757 was en route to Anchorage (ANC) from Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) when the incident occurred.
Delta Flight 1601 took off from MSP at 5:57pm and set its coordinates for Anchorage. At some point in the first 45 minutes of the flight, smoke was reported in the cockpit. The pilots made the decision to make an emergency landing when the aircraft was over the “Bismarck area,” according to InfoForum.
The aircraft, which was holding 195 passengers and seven crew members, turned around at 6:49pm and made its way to Hector International Airport (FAR), in Fargo, North Dakota.
Flight 1601 made a safe landing at 7:30pm and emergency personnel, including firefighters, greeted the aircraft.
Delta shared this statement with TPG regarding the incident:
Delta apologized for the inconvenience to the customers on flight 1601 from Minneapolis to Anchorage following a diversion to Fargo. Our team in Fargo provided food and care while awaiting a new aircraft to continue the flight to Alaska.
The airline sent a replacement aircraft, scheduled to arrive in Fargo at 11:00pm to take passengers to their final destination five and half hours later than originally planned.
Delta offered pizza to the passengers who were waiting. It’s not the first time the carrier has done that to please disgruntled travelers — it once sent 160 pizzas and 60 footlong subs to stranded passengers in Nashville.
A United 757-200 made an emergency landing in February after reports of smoke in the cockpit.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees