Smoke in Cabin of American Airlines Flight Causes Evacuation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight was evacuated on the taxiway of Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) Wednesday afternoon due to a smoky smell that filled the aircraft cabin.
The plane was met by ambulances and fire trucks as a precaution, and its 64 passengers and four crew members were bused to the airport’s terminal after the evacuation. American says there were no injuries.
As Flight 3470 from Columbus, Ohio (CMH) was landing in Chicago (ORD), a smoky smell began to fill the CRJ-700 aircraft — registration N527EA. The flight landed safely at 3:31pm CT, about the time it was scheduled.
Passengers tweeted that the crew was calm as they evacuated passengers:
Hey @AmericanAir shout out to the flight crew of AA #3470 for calmly evacuating the aircraft upon landing when smoke was in the cockpit. Also, as much as I enjoy walking from gate G17 to G12 to G2 back to G17, maybe a little better organization next time?
— Steve Raquet (@Raquetball50) April 11, 2018
American is still investigating the cause of the smell, but the airline says the plane has been taken out of service so mechanics could examine it.
H/T: Chicago Tribune
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.