You can now book a lie-flat economy seat with Lufthansa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling may not be your priority right now, but for travelers who are flying one specific route with Lufthansa, this upgraded economy experience could make the flight far more enjoyable.
The Germany-based airline is trialing its new lie-flat economy product on flights 506 and 507 between Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) to São Paulo, Brazil (GRU).
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Whether you want to sprawl out in luxury for less, or are just eager to secure more personal space the next time you fly, the so-called Sleeper’s Row lets you book three or even four adjacent seats in a single row.
In addition to all that extra space (and the peace of mind knowing you won’t have any seatmates to contend with), travelers who book Sleeper’s Row will get a few business-class perks: a premium pillow, topper and blanket, plus priority boarding.
That’s not an insignificant step up from Air New Zealand’s Skycouch experience, which is only every three seats and doesn’t include priority boarding.
Unfortunately, you don’t have much time left to experience this product during its trial period. At this time, the Sleeper’s Row is being offered to travelers with an economy ticket on eligible flights until mid-December.
To book the Sleeper’s Row, all you need to do is show up at the airport and express your interest to someone when you check in for your flight or at the boarding gate. The cost to upgrade to a full row with three or four seats is 220 euros (about $260).
According to the airline, the number of Sleeper’s Rows offered is “limited per flight” and will be assigned on a first come, first served basis to passengers who “show interest to our ground staff.” So, if you’re interested in experiencing this product, we suggest you show up early for your flight.
Just know that the initial cost of your ticket won’t come cheap. In general, one-way flights from Frankfurt to São Paulo with Lufthansa are going for approximately $2,006 in December.
It’s not clear at this time if Lufthansa has any intention of making the Sleeper’s Row a permanent product, or introducing it to additional routes.
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.