You Can Now Sit on Giant Lily Pads in Taipei
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You can now float around on lily pads in Taipei, just like your local pond’s bullfrog. This August, the Shuangxi Park and Chinese Garden in Taipei, Taiwan, is offering a special exhibition that allows visitors to sit on top of giant Victoria water lily pads.
Taipei City’s Parks and Street Lights Office (PSLO) is organizing six morning and six afternoon sessions where adults and children who weigh up to 140 pounds can sit on these giant water lilies. Each session will only allow 60 people and will take place on August 14, 16, 18, 21, 23 and 25. The water lilies are known for their large, circular leaves that stretch to around eight feet wide and have upturned edges. This is the exhibition’s fourth year, and to protect the plant surface, guests are only allowed on the lilies for one minute and must sit on plastic wrap.
Although this is a popular exhibit, the PSLO said in a statement that this summer might be the last time they allow guests to sit on the leaves due to high temperatures and water shortage issues resulting from unusual climate conditions in the past few years, Taiwan News reported. Along with high temperatures and water shortages, bugs and pests have also made it hard for the water lilies to grow to their full size.
PSLO Officer Lin Chao-Chin explained to Metro News how one of their biggest challenges in maintaining the lilies is fending off snails and cutworms.
“This means that cutworms and snails will eat the plants. If we don’t fight them, the leaves would be cut off while they are still small. There would be many tiny holes in the leaves, rendering them unable to grow,” Chao-Chin told Metro News.
Lilies can be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. More information on pricing and availability can be found on the exhibition’s site. (Note: You might need to use Google Translate.)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees