Singapore, United Still Struggle to Fix Award Availability Issue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a United MilagePlus member wanting to book award travel with Singapore Airlines using your United miles its been bad news for the last six months. While we have seen things like this with United’s system before, most were resolved fairly quickly. Even when United pulled Singapore award availability for nearly four years you were still able to call United to book an award redemption over the phone.
A spokesperson for Singapore Airlines recently told Live and Let’s Fly “United Airlines and Singapore Airlines are aware of the ongoing availability and booking issues of UA redemption on SIA. As such, UA redemption on SIA is temporarily not available. Both airlines are working actively to resolve the issue by July 2019.”
A statement from United however was more cryptic and less optimistic, “We continue to work with Singapore on a solution. This is IT related.”
While these latest statements don’t shed much light on exactly what the technical issue actually is, it’s promising that at least one side is willing to give some kind of time table on when flyers might expect the issue to be resolved. While the statement gives no guarantee that award availability will return by July, it does at least provide a bit of hope that we might soon see the issue resolved.
Singapore Airlines is a great way to redeem United MileagePlus miles for award trips so getting that option back will be a huge win for travelers looking to book awards on Singapore hardware.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees