Singapore, United Still Struggle to Fix Award Availability Issue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a United MilagePlus member wanting to book award travel with Singapore Airlines using your United miles its been bad news for the last six months. While we have seen things like this with United’s system before, most were resolved fairly quickly. Even when United pulled Singapore award availability for nearly four years you were still able to call United to book an award redemption over the phone.
A spokesperson for Singapore Airlines recently told Live and Let’s Fly “United Airlines and Singapore Airlines are aware of the ongoing availability and booking issues of UA redemption on SIA. As such, UA redemption on SIA is temporarily not available. Both airlines are working actively to resolve the issue by July 2019.”
A statement from United however was more cryptic and less optimistic, “We continue to work with Singapore on a solution. This is IT related.”
While these latest statements don’t shed much light on exactly what the technical issue actually is, it’s promising that at least one side is willing to give some kind of time table on when flyers might expect the issue to be resolved. While the statement gives no guarantee that award availability will return by July, it does at least provide a bit of hope that we might soon see the issue resolved.
Singapore Airlines is a great way to redeem United MileagePlus miles for award trips so getting that option back will be a huge win for travelers looking to book awards on Singapore hardware.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee