Singapore, United Still Struggle to Fix Award Availability Issue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a United MilagePlus member wanting to book award travel with Singapore Airlines using your United miles its been bad news for the last six months. While we have seen things like this with United’s system before, most were resolved fairly quickly. Even when United pulled Singapore award availability for nearly four years you were still able to call United to book an award redemption over the phone.
A spokesperson for Singapore Airlines recently told Live and Let’s Fly “United Airlines and Singapore Airlines are aware of the ongoing availability and booking issues of UA redemption on SIA. As such, UA redemption on SIA is temporarily not available. Both airlines are working actively to resolve the issue by July 2019.”
A statement from United however was more cryptic and less optimistic, “We continue to work with Singapore on a solution. This is IT related.”
While these latest statements don’t shed much light on exactly what the technical issue actually is, it’s promising that at least one side is willing to give some kind of time table on when flyers might expect the issue to be resolved. While the statement gives no guarantee that award availability will return by July, it does at least provide a bit of hope that we might soon see the issue resolved.
Singapore Airlines is a great way to redeem United MileagePlus miles for award trips so getting that option back will be a huge win for travelers looking to book awards on Singapore hardware.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.