This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every month, Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer mileage program puts certain routes on discount through its KrisFlyer “Spontaneous Escapes” program. Now through the end of April, you can score up to 30% off certain routes and cabins for flights in May.
While there’s dozens of discounted routes, the most relevant one for US-based flyers is Singapore Airlines business class between San Francisco (SFO) and Singapore (SIN) for 66,500 miles each way for flights from May 1-31. That’s a 30% discount from the usual redemption rate of 95,000 miles each way.
Unfortunately, the discount is only available on Singapore Airlines flight 1 — which flies from San Francisco (SFO) through Hong Kong (HKG) to Singapore (SIN) — and not Singapore Airlines flight 31 which is the nonstop between San Francisco and Singapore. The positive of this is that you’ll get even more time in Singapore business class.
This is far from the only option, KrisFlyer has a long list of routes that are discounted 30% off the normal rates. For example, travelers can fly between London or Paris and Singapore in May 2019 for just 26,600 miles each way:
Other long-haul routes discounted through this program include flights between Singapore and Sydney, Canberra, Tokyo and Seoul. For those looking for hops intra-Asia, there are dozens of short-haul routes also listed.
If you already have an award flight booked for this period, it could be worth cancelling your existing award, paying a small redeposit fee and re-booking at the lower rate if the dates work out for you.
Airline: Singapore Airlines
Routes: SFO/LHR/CDG (and many others) to/from SIN
Purchase By: April 30
Travel Dates: May 1-31, 2019
Booking Link: Directly with KrisFlyer
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
No discount codes or special links are needed for this offer. Just search on KrisFlyer’s website and the discount will automatically be applied at check-out. Note that the un-discounted 95,000-mile rate will appear in the search results:
San Francisco (SFO) to Singapore (SIN) nonstop in business class for 66,500 miles plus $26 in taxes and fees:
London Heathrow (LHR) to Singapore (SIN) nonstop in economy for 26,600 miles plus GBP125 (US$163) in taxes and fees:
Paris (CDG) to Singapore (SIN) nonstop in economy for 26,600 miles plus €53 (US$60) in taxes and fees:
Even if your Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer balance is zero, you can easily compile a bunch of miles through transfer partners. The KrisFlyer program partners with all of the major transferable currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards
- Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Citi ThankYou Rewards
- Capital One Venture Miles transfer to the program at a 2:1 ratio.
As a result, you can transfer points from popular cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express, the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Citi Premier Card and the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card directly to Singapore to enable these redemptions.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees