This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every month, Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer mileage program puts certain routes on discount through its KrisFlyer “Spontaneous Escapes” program. Through the end of May, you can score up to 30% off certain routes and cabins for last-minute flights in June.
While there are dozens of discounted routes on the full list, there are just two that are relevant for US and UK-based flyers:
- Hong Kong (HKG) to San Francisco (SFO) for 62,300 miles each way in business class (June 9-30)
- Manchester (MAN) to Houston (IAH) for 15,750 miles each way in economy class (June 1-15) or 32,900 miles each way in premium economy (June 1-30).
Note that the economy price (15,750) is actually cheaper than KrisFlyer lists on its website (24,150):
While flights in both directions are usually included, only one of the two directions of these routes is discounted. The other direction will price out at the standard saver price.
Other long-haul routes discounted through this program include flights between Singapore and Auckland, Christchurch, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Johannesburg, Dubai, Seoul and numerous Japanese cities. For those looking for hops intra-Asia, there are dozens of short-haul routes also listed.
If you already have an award flight booked for this period, it could be worth cancelling your existing award, paying a small redeposit fee and re-booking at the lower rate if the dates work out for you.
Airline: Singapore Airlines
Routes: HKG to SFO, MAN to IAH and dozens of other city pairs
Purchase By: May 31
Travel Dates: June 1-30 — except as noted
Booking Link: Directly with KrisFlyer
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
No discount codes or special links are needed for this offer. Just search on KrisFlyer’s website and the discount will automatically be applied at check-out. Note that un-discounted rates will appear in the search results, but the discounted price will show when you click the flight option.
Hong Kong (HKG) to San Francisco (SFO) nonstop in business class for 62,300 miles plus HK$482 (US$61) in taxes and fees:
Manchester (MAN) to Houston (IAH) nonstop in economy for 15,750 miles plus £111 ($144) in taxes and fees:
Manchester (MAN) to Houston (IAH) nonstop in premium economy for 32,900 miles plus £205 ($265) in taxes and fees:
Even if your Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer balance is zero, you can easily compile a bunch of miles through transfer partners. The KrisFlyer program partners with all of the major transferable currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards
- Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Citi ThankYou Rewards
- Capital One Venture Miles transfer to the program at a 2:1 ratio.
As a result, you can transfer points from popular cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express, the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Citi Premier Card and the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card directly to Singapore to enable these redemptions.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards