Singapore Airlines will resume popular JFK-FRA route on Nov. 2
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines has announced that it will resume its popular New York to Frankfurt route beginning Nov. 2 due to the Biden administration relaxing travel restrictions to the United States. Additionally, the airline will also restart nonstop flights from San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) on Nov. 2.
These flights are what’s known as fifth-freedom routes, or routes that allow an airline to fly and sell tickets between two countries — neither of which is its home base – as long as the flight continues to or from the carrier’s home nation.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Singapore’s world-famous first class product will return to both routes for the first time since the start of the pandemic. They will be operated on a Boeing 777-300 ER aircraft with four first class seats, 48 business class seats, 28 premium economy seats, and 184 economy seats.
“We are very pleased to announce this reestablishment of connectivity from the U.S. to two of SIA’s key 5th Freedom destinations, Frankfurt and Hong Kong,” said Singapore Airlines regional vice president Joey Seow in a statement. “In addition, both flights provide our customers with the option of continuing service to Singapore, where they can also connect to a range of business and leisure destinations.”
The JFK-FRA flight schedule is as follows:
- SQ #26 departs FRA at 8:20 a.m. and arrives at JFK at 12:15 p.m., all times local.
- SQ #25 departs JFK at 9:15 p.m. and arrives at FRA at 9:50 a.m., all times local.
The San Francisco-Hong Kong-Singapore roundtrip service will operate three days a week. The SFO-HKG flight schedule is as follows:
- SQ #8 departs HKG at 1:40 p.m., arriving at SFO at 10:40 a.m. the same day.
- SQ #7 departs SFO at 1:00 p.m., arriving at HKG at 7:10 p.m. the following day.
The news comes just a month after the airline launched a new fifth freedom route from Los Angeles (LAX) to Taipei (TPE), as reported by senior aviation editor Ben Mutzabaugh. That flight is scheduled three times a week on the Airbus A350-900 aircraft. The 253-seat jets are configured in a three-cabin layout that includes 42 seats in business class and 24 in premium economy.
Singapore Airlines is the flag carrier of Singapore and flies to dozens of destinations around the world. If you want to use your miles, you have a choice of Star Alliance partners to book with, including United MileagePlus and Aeroplan. For those looking to fly upfront, Singapore doesn’t release premium-cabin award space to its partners, so you’ll have to book through Singapore’s KrisFlyer program.
If you don’t have miles through Star Alliance, KrisFlyer is a partner of all five major transferable points currencies: Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards, Capital One and Marriott Bonvoy. One-way saver awards cost the following amounts:
|U.S.-Europe||22,500 miles||47,000 miles||72,000 miles||86,000 miles|
|U.S.-Tokyo||35,000 miles||66,000 miles||92,000 miles||107,000 miles|
|U.S.-Hong Kong||33,000 miles||63,000 miles||89,000 miles||104,000 miles|
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information from Singapore Airlines saying that its Frankfurt-JFK service is now scheduled to begin as daily service.
Featured photo by Fedor Selivanov/Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees