This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines already operates what’s arguably the world’s most sophisticated inflight catering platform, in Book the Cook, but for one reason or another, it isn’t available on every single route — the carrier’s Newark-Singapore flagship (and world’s longest flight) is one extraordinary exception, for example. But it seems that SQ’s managed to cook up a solution, so to speak.
Thursday, the airline announced that it would be adding entree pre-ordering to every single flight it operates — passengers traveling in Singapore Suites, first class, business class or premium economy will be able to view the inflight menu and select their main course anytime between three weeks and 24 hours prior to departure, regardless of origin or destination.
Fortunately, this does not replace Book the Cook — you’ll still have access to that program wherever it’s available today, offering up to 68 options, from wonton soup to lobster Thermidor, depending on the route.
Instead, pre-order picks will likely be presented directly to the crew, so flight attendants know which passengers get priority for certain dishes. I imagine that means it’ll also be possible to select a different dish on board if you change your mind, depending on availability.
While I’ve certainly experienced issues getting my first pick on US-based carriers, I haven’t had any trouble when flying business class or Suites on Singapore. Still, when it comes to certain entree choices — such as a Japanese or Korean meal on flights to or from those markets — pre-ordering can deliver the peace of mind that you’re certain to get exactly what you want.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees