Singapore Airlines’ Waitlist Policy Changes Go Into Effect
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this year, Singapore Airlines announced that it would be rolling out changes to the airline’s waitlist policy: while redeeming miles on Singapore Airlines using KrisFlyer miles would require more miles than before, the waitlist policy would be improved. Effective today, Singapore Airlines’ new waitlist policy has officially been rolled out.
What Is Waitlisting with Singapore Airlines?
Singapore Airlines offers some of the most premium cabins of any airline. However, award space can often be difficult to find — even in economy. To increase the chances of scoring award space and having the option of redeeming miles, Singapore Airlines allows members of the KrisFlyer program to waitlist for their desired cabin.
Essentially, if a traveler was planning on using KrisFlyer miles but was unable to find award space for their desired flight, they have the option of adding themselves to the waitlist for that flight. If award space becomes available for their desired cabin and they are on the waitlist, that traveler will be booked onto that flight using miles.
There is no limit to how many flights a KrisFlyer member can waitlist themselves. However, travelers are required to have enough miles in their account for their desired redemption.
The waitlist feature offered by Singapore Airlines is a great way to snag award space on the airline. It also offers travelers peace of mind that, assuming award space opens up, they will be able to snag a seat.
What Is Changing?
Beginning July 4, 2019, all Singapore Airlines waitlist redemption flights after August 14, 2019, will follow the new waitlist policy.
The most significant change applies to the time frame of Singapore Airlines’ waitlist. With the new policy, passengers can add themselves to the waitlist at any time up until 3 weeks prior to departure. Additionally, passengers will be notified at least 14 days prior to departure to whether or not award space has become available and confirmed.
If award space does not become available and a waitlist redemption is unsuccessful, the redemption will be canceled two weeks prior to departure. This updated cancellation policy applies to all waitlist redemptions with the exception of upgrades.
According to Singapore Airlines, this new policy is to give passengers greater certainty when using KrisFlyer miles.
In addition to changes to time frame, KrisFlyer members who take advantage of the airline’s waitlist feature can opt to receive periodic reminders and manage their waitlist bookings online. Periodic reminders and confirmation of award availability will be sent via email. Passengers can opt out of this feature.
Ultimately, the change to Singapore Airlines’ waitlist policy is a minor improvement to the KrisFlyer program. However, the devaluation to the program’s frequent flyer currency earlier this year means, if award space becomes available, travelers will be required to redeem a greater number of miles than before. For tips on how to book premium cabin awards on Singapore Airlines and partner airlines, check out TPG’s guides.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Ryan Patterson / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.