Singapore Airlines Cancels New Zealand Flight After Pilot Fails Sobriety Test
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines Flight SQ247 from Melbourne, Australia (MEL), to Wellington, New Zealand (WEL), was canceled Saturday after its pilot failed a sobriety test. The flight was abruptly canceled after the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) decided to conduct a random alcohol and drug test on the flight crew.
The unnamed pilot had flown in from Singapore and then spent a day or two in Melbourne before failing the alcohol test, according to Singapore Airlines spokesperson Karl Schubert. The airline did not release the blood alcohol content level found in the pilot’s failed test, but he was deemed unable to fly the Boeing 777. The limit for pilots in Australia is .02%, and pilots are not allowed to drink alcohol in the eight hours before a flight, according to the Australian Federation of Air Pilots.
The cancellation was devastating to rugby fans who were headed to watch New Zealand’s national rugby team, the All Blacks, play against South Africa in the 2018 Investec Rugby Championship. The return flight to Melbourne also had to be canceled as a result.
Schubert stated that this is the first time, to his knowledge, that a Singapore Airlines pilot has ever failed a sobriety test. Both CASA and Singapore Airlines did not comment further on next steps for the pilot.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees