Singapore Airlines Cancels New Zealand Flight After Pilot Fails Sobriety Test
Singapore Airlines Flight SQ247 from Melbourne, Australia (MEL), to Wellington, New Zealand (WEL), was canceled Saturday after its pilot failed a sobriety test. The flight was abruptly canceled after the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) decided to conduct a random alcohol and drug test on the flight crew.
The unnamed pilot had flown in from Singapore and then spent a day or two in Melbourne before failing the alcohol test, according to Singapore Airlines spokesperson Karl Schubert. The airline did not release the blood alcohol content level found in the pilot’s failed test, but he was deemed unable to fly the Boeing 777. The limit for pilots in Australia is .02%, and pilots are not allowed to drink alcohol in the eight hours before a flight, according to the Australian Federation of Air Pilots.
The cancellation was devastating to rugby fans who were headed to watch New Zealand’s national rugby team, the All Blacks, play against South Africa in the 2018 Investec Rugby Championship. The return flight to Melbourne also had to be canceled as a result.
Schubert stated that this is the first time, to his knowledge, that a Singapore Airlines pilot has ever failed a sobriety test. Both CASA and Singapore Airlines did not comment further on next steps for the pilot.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.