This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Air has received delivery of the world’s first ultra long-range (ULR) A350, registered MSN220 (9V-SGA). The new plane wears the same registration as the airline’s A340-500s, and has the longest range of any current aircraft, capable of traveling up to 9,700 nautical miles, or more than 20 hours nonstop. The modified fuel system of the A350 ULR increased the current A350-900 design from 24,000 litres to 165,000 litres, extending the aircraft’s range without the need for additional fuel tanks. The aircraft also features a number of aerodynamic enhancements including extended winglets, resulting in a 25% reduction in fuel usage and emissions.
The aircraft is the first of seven ULR variants on order from Airbus. Thus far, Singapore Airlines is the only carrier that’s purchased these specialized planes, and plans to use them to relaunch the Singapore (SIN) to Newark (EWR) flight on October 11, 2018.
As previously mentioned on TPG, these new ULR A350s have [or lack] a unique feature: no economy cabins. The new ultra long-range planes seat just 161 passengers per flight: 67 in business class and 94 in premium economy. TPG previously reported that Singapore Airlines has released a good amount of award options for both premium economy and business class seats beginning the week after flights resume. TPG will also publish a review of the inaugural flight.
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees