Silver Airways expands to another new city in South Carolina, plans 3 routes to Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Silver Airways is rapidly expanding its map in the Palmetto State, planning three new routes from the South Carolina capital of Columbia even as the coronavirus pandemic persists.
Beginning Dec. 17, the South Florida-based regional carrier will connect Columbia (CAE) with Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA), Silver said Tuesday. All three routes will be flown twice-weekly with same-plane service available to Key West (EYW) via Tampa. Silver flies ATR and Saab 340 turboprop aircraft.
Columbia is Silver’s second destination in South Carolina after renewing its plans to add Charleston (CHS) to its map. Flights to the coastal city begin Nov. 22.
The new flights come as the U.S. faces a resurgence in COVID infections. The seven-day moving average of new case has been on an upward trajectory since mid-September, with 60,426 infections reported on Oct. 20, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data.
Both Florida and South Carolina are seeing rising case numbers.
However, rising infections have yet to dampen travel as they did during the summer. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screened more than 1 million people on Sunday, Oct. 18 — the first time the count passed the symbolic million-person mark since March.
“Columbia and the surrounding communities comprise a vibrant region bursting with natural beauty, historic significance, countless recreational opportunities, a growing and progressive business community, and the University of South Carolina,” said Silver CEO Steve Rossum in a statement on the new service.
Leisure travel has dominated the U.S. recovery so far. Few expect business flyers to return in significant numbers until next year, at the earliest.
Silver has limited frequent flyer partnerships with JetBlue Airways and United Airlines.
Featured image courtesy of Silver Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.