How to see shooting stars light up the night sky this week
Mercury may be back in retrograde today, but it’s not all doom and gloom up in the cosmos — in fact, there are a ton of cool celestial events taking place in the sky this week.
Two Taurid meteor showers are peaking in November in the Northern Hemisphere, from both the Southern Taurids and Northern Taurids. The former has been active since Sept. 10 and will continue until Nov. 20, while the later became active on Oct. 20 and continues until Dec. 10. And they’ll overlap this week to a spectacular effect.
The Taurids are named for their relationship to the Taurus constellation, which rises in the east after dusk. According to Travel + Leisure, it’s easiest to see at this time of year by finding the bright star cluster of Pleiades (also known as the Seven Sisters) and looking down toward the V-shaped Hyades star cluster, which doubles as the head of Taurus the bull.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Since the two showers are overlapping, you can expect to see about five to 10 shooting stars per hour. Think: bright fireballs streaking across the sky. While the Southern Taurids technically peaked in October, the Northern Taurids peak on Nov. 12, right before a full moon. That means your best bet to catch a glimpse of the magic is in the coming days — right in time for Halloween! (A new moon on Oct. 28 means you’ll only see a waxing crescent for the next few evenings, and moonlight won’t interfere too much with your search for falling stars.)
The next major shower, the Leonids, will be active from Nov. 6 to Nov. 30, and peak at midnight on the night of Nov. 16. At that time, you might be able to see about 15 shooting stars per hour.
This year has been a good one for lucky celestial events. Back in July, for example, there was a special “Black Moon” that only occurs every 32 months — an excellent occasion for stargazing.
So, get out your binoculars, grab a blanket and go enjoy the show.
Featured image courtesy of Constantine Johnny/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.