How to see shooting stars light up the night sky this week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Mercury may be back in retrograde today, but it’s not all doom and gloom up in the cosmos — in fact, there are a ton of cool celestial events taking place in the sky this week.
Two Taurid meteor showers are peaking in November in the Northern Hemisphere, from both the Southern Taurids and Northern Taurids. The former has been active since Sept. 10 and will continue until Nov. 20, while the later became active on Oct. 20 and continues until Dec. 10. And they’ll overlap this week to a spectacular effect.
The Taurids are named for their relationship to the Taurus constellation, which rises in the east after dusk. According to Travel + Leisure, it’s easiest to see at this time of year by finding the bright star cluster of Pleiades (also known as the Seven Sisters) and looking down toward the V-shaped Hyades star cluster, which doubles as the head of Taurus the bull.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Since the two showers are overlapping, you can expect to see about five to 10 shooting stars per hour. Think: bright fireballs streaking across the sky. While the Southern Taurids technically peaked in October, the Northern Taurids peak on Nov. 12, right before a full moon. That means your best bet to catch a glimpse of the magic is in the coming days — right in time for Halloween! (A new moon on Oct. 28 means you’ll only see a waxing crescent for the next few evenings, and moonlight won’t interfere too much with your search for falling stars.)
The next major shower, the Leonids, will be active from Nov. 6 to Nov. 30, and peak at midnight on the night of Nov. 16. At that time, you might be able to see about 15 shooting stars per hour.
This year has been a good one for lucky celestial events. Back in July, for example, there was a special “Black Moon” that only occurs every 32 months — an excellent occasion for stargazing.
So, get out your binoculars, grab a blanket and go enjoy the show.
Featured image courtesy of Constantine Johnny/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees