This Shark Boat In New Zealand Might Be the Most Intense Ride of Your Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New Zealand is an intense place — Haka dances, year-round sunshine, dangerous plants and animals. So, it makes sense that you’d find the most extreme semi-submersible boat hanging around Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown.
Hydro Attack offers rides in semi-submersible machines designed to look just like sharks. Currently, there are four different sharks you can take a ride in. But my personal favorite (in case you were wondering) may be the shark with orange and black tiger stripes. The website describes it as a “cross between a fighter jet and a torpedo.” If you’ve ever wanted to know what it feels like to be a shark breeching out of the water, this is the ride for you.
The Hydro Attack skims across the lake at 50 mph and hits speeds of 25 mph underwater. If you have a weak stomach, take caution. The whole point of this ride is the impressive tricks, sometimes launching you 18 feet out of the water. The website describes the experience best: “Looking through the F-16 fighter-grade glass you will see the sky disappear as your pilot descends into a dive underwater for 5-15 seconds and then launches the entire 18 feet of the shark into the air. We can roll on a 90-degree angle, do tight doughnut turns and so much more.”
The company also offers boat tours, if you’ve got a group of three people or more. This option allows your friends and family to take in your experience jetting around the lake while they wait for their own turn.
As if we needed another reason to visit Queenstown.
It gets better: Say you love your shark machine ride so much you want to do it again. The Hydro Attack company actually sells these machines — called Seabreachers — completely customized to your liking. Want a bright yellow shark with blue polka dots to take around your local lake? Feasible. Check out the specifics for owning your own on the Hydro Attack website.
Rides on a shark Seabreacher start at $129. But getting a first-hand look at what it (probably) feels like to be a shark? Priceless.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.