This Shark Boat In New Zealand Might Be the Most Intense Ride of Your Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New Zealand is an intense place — Haka dances, year-round sunshine, dangerous plants and animals. So, it makes sense that you’d find the most extreme semi-submersible boat hanging around Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown.
Hydro Attack offers rides in semi-submersible machines designed to look just like sharks. Currently, there are four different sharks you can take a ride in. But my personal favorite (in case you were wondering) may be the shark with orange and black tiger stripes. The website describes it as a “cross between a fighter jet and a torpedo.” If you’ve ever wanted to know what it feels like to be a shark breeching out of the water, this is the ride for you.
The Hydro Attack skims across the lake at 50 mph and hits speeds of 25 mph underwater. If you have a weak stomach, take caution. The whole point of this ride is the impressive tricks, sometimes launching you 18 feet out of the water. The website describes the experience best: “Looking through the F-16 fighter-grade glass you will see the sky disappear as your pilot descends into a dive underwater for 5-15 seconds and then launches the entire 18 feet of the shark into the air. We can roll on a 90-degree angle, do tight doughnut turns and so much more.”
The company also offers boat tours, if you’ve got a group of three people or more. This option allows your friends and family to take in your experience jetting around the lake while they wait for their own turn.
As if we needed another reason to visit Queenstown.
It gets better: Say you love your shark machine ride so much you want to do it again. The Hydro Attack company actually sells these machines — called Seabreachers — completely customized to your liking. Want a bright yellow shark with blue polka dots to take around your local lake? Feasible. Check out the specifics for owning your own on the Hydro Attack website.
Rides on a shark Seabreacher start at $129. But getting a first-hand look at what it (probably) feels like to be a shark? Priceless.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees