23-Year-Old Surfer Bitten by Shark Off of Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 23-year-old surfer off of the Hawaiian island of Oahu was taken to the hospital in serious condition after being bitten by a shark on Saturday morning.
The unidentified male surfer was sitting on a eight-foot surf board off of Pounder’s Beach when the shark bit him on his arm and elbow around 8:30am, KHON 2 news reports.
“It was beautiful, glassy, really good waves and all of a sudden you hear someone yelling ‘help! Shark! Help,'” fellow surfer Ryan Hailstones told KHON 2. “You kind of just saw blood everywhere.” Hailstones and about 20 other surfers helped get the victim to shore, tying a tourniquet for him with the ankle leashes from their surfboards and calling 911.
The man reportedly was in good spirits when he was taken to a nearby hospital, but he was in serious condition. It is unclear what type of shark bit the surfer.
Saturday’s shark attack in Hawaii follows a string of similar shark bite incidents this summer, including two tiger shark attacks in one day off of New York’s Fire Island in which two children were bitten in June.
Featured image by Reinhard Dirscherl/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.