This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 23-year-old surfer off of the Hawaiian island of Oahu was taken to the hospital in serious condition after being bitten by a shark on Saturday morning.
The unidentified male surfer was sitting on a eight-foot surf board off of Pounder’s Beach when the shark bit him on his arm and elbow around 8:30am, KHON 2 news reports.
“It was beautiful, glassy, really good waves and all of a sudden you hear someone yelling ‘help! Shark! Help,'” fellow surfer Ryan Hailstones told KHON 2. “You kind of just saw blood everywhere.” Hailstones and about 20 other surfers helped get the victim to shore, tying a tourniquet for him with the ankle leashes from their surfboards and calling 911.
The man reportedly was in good spirits when he was taken to a nearby hospital, but he was in serious condition. It is unclear what type of shark bit the surfer.
Saturday’s shark attack in Hawaii follows a string of similar shark bite incidents this summer, including two tiger shark attacks in one day off of New York’s Fire Island in which two children were bitten in June.
Featured image by Reinhard Dirscherl/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees