This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 23-year-old surfer off of the Hawaiian island of Oahu was taken to the hospital in serious condition after being bitten by a shark on Saturday morning.
The unidentified male surfer was sitting on a eight-foot surf board off of Pounder’s Beach when the shark bit him on his arm and elbow around 8:30am, KHON 2 news reports.
“It was beautiful, glassy, really good waves and all of a sudden you hear someone yelling ‘help! Shark! Help,'” fellow surfer Ryan Hailstones told KHON 2. “You kind of just saw blood everywhere.” Hailstones and about 20 other surfers helped get the victim to shore, tying a tourniquet for him with the ankle leashes from their surfboards and calling 911.
The man reportedly was in good spirits when he was taken to a nearby hospital, but he was in serious condition. It is unclear what type of shark bit the surfer.
Saturday’s shark attack in Hawaii follows a string of similar shark bite incidents this summer, including two tiger shark attacks in one day off of New York’s Fire Island in which two children were bitten in June.
Featured image by Reinhard Dirscherl/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards