23-Year-Old Surfer Bitten by Shark Off of Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 23-year-old surfer off of the Hawaiian island of Oahu was taken to the hospital in serious condition after being bitten by a shark on Saturday morning.
The unidentified male surfer was sitting on a eight-foot surf board off of Pounder’s Beach when the shark bit him on his arm and elbow around 8:30am, KHON 2 news reports.
“It was beautiful, glassy, really good waves and all of a sudden you hear someone yelling ‘help! Shark! Help,'” fellow surfer Ryan Hailstones told KHON 2. “You kind of just saw blood everywhere.” Hailstones and about 20 other surfers helped get the victim to shore, tying a tourniquet for him with the ankle leashes from their surfboards and calling 911.
The man reportedly was in good spirits when he was taken to a nearby hospital, but he was in serious condition. It is unclear what type of shark bit the surfer.
Saturday’s shark attack in Hawaii follows a string of similar shark bite incidents this summer, including two tiger shark attacks in one day off of New York’s Fire Island in which two children were bitten in June.
Featured image by Reinhard Dirscherl/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees