This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 23-year-old surfer off of the Hawaiian island of Oahu was taken to the hospital in serious condition after being bitten by a shark on Saturday morning.
The unidentified male surfer was sitting on a eight-foot surf board off of Pounder’s Beach when the shark bit him on his arm and elbow around 8:30am, KHON 2 news reports.
“It was beautiful, glassy, really good waves and all of a sudden you hear someone yelling ‘help! Shark! Help,'” fellow surfer Ryan Hailstones told KHON 2. “You kind of just saw blood everywhere.” Hailstones and about 20 other surfers helped get the victim to shore, tying a tourniquet for him with the ankle leashes from their surfboards and calling 911.
The man reportedly was in good spirits when he was taken to a nearby hospital, but he was in serious condition. It is unclear what type of shark bit the surfer.
Saturday’s shark attack in Hawaii follows a string of similar shark bite incidents this summer, including two tiger shark attacks in one day off of New York’s Fire Island in which two children were bitten in June.
Featured image by Reinhard Dirscherl/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees