This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I never thought we’d see the day! United introduced the first Polaris Lounge way back in December 2016, and while we were expecting more to roll out throughout 2017, that Chicago O’Hare (ORD) location remains the airline’s one and only. That’ll change on April 30, when United officially opens the doors to its second Polaris Lounge, at San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
While the West Coast’s first Polaris Lounge will open on April 30, United just sent out an invitation to a special preview a few days earlier, on April 25. I’ll be there to snap some pics of the new space, of course, which I’ll share right here on TPG later that day.
Additionally, MileagePlus members will have an opportunity to redeem miles to join a second preview event on April 27. It’s not yet clear how you’ll be able to redeem, but United’s promised more details later this week.
According to United’s “Polaris Tracker” website, a total of four US locations will open in 2018, including the aforementioned San Francisco lounge, followed by Newark (EWR), Houston (IAH) and Los Angeles (LAX).
While United has yet to release any details, the San Francisco Polaris Lounge is expected to be relatively gigantic, taking over the space previously occupied by the International United Club, in addition to Singapore Airlines’ and EVA Air’s former lounges at SFO. It shouldn’t be as crowded as that United Club had been during peak periods, however, since access is limited to customers traveling in the following cabins:
- United Polaris first class (with one guest)
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class (with one guest)
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
Details have yet to be released, but I’m confident that this space will be a huge step up from the other SFO lounge offerings, including the Amex Centurion Lounge, located just around the corner. Stay tuned for much more to come by the end of this month!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel