This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I never thought we’d see the day! United introduced the first Polaris Lounge way back in December 2016, and while we were expecting more to roll out throughout 2017, that Chicago O’Hare (ORD) location remains the airline’s one and only. That’ll change on April 30, when United officially opens the doors to its second Polaris Lounge, at San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
While the West Coast’s first Polaris Lounge will open on April 30, United just sent out an invitation to a special preview a few days earlier, on April 25. I’ll be there to snap some pics of the new space, of course, which I’ll share right here on TPG later that day.
Additionally, MileagePlus members will have an opportunity to redeem miles to join a second preview event on April 27. It’s not yet clear how you’ll be able to redeem, but United’s promised more details later this week.
According to United’s “Polaris Tracker” website, a total of four US locations will open in 2018, including the aforementioned San Francisco lounge, followed by Newark (EWR), Houston (IAH) and Los Angeles (LAX).
While United has yet to release any details, the San Francisco Polaris Lounge is expected to be relatively gigantic, taking over the space previously occupied by the International United Club, in addition to Singapore Airlines’ and EVA Air’s former lounges at SFO. It shouldn’t be as crowded as that United Club had been during peak periods, however, since access is limited to customers traveling in the following cabins:
- United Polaris first class (with one guest)
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class (with one guest)
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
Details have yet to be released, but I’m confident that this space will be a huge step up from the other SFO lounge offerings, including the Amex Centurion Lounge, located just around the corner. Stay tuned for much more to come by the end of this month!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees