On board the San Francisco 49ers’ Super Bowl-bound 777
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This Sunday, Feb. 2, the San Francisco 49ers will take on the Kansas City Chiefs at Super Bowl LIV in Miami. While the Chiefs are the designated “home” team, both groups needed to fly down to South Florida for this weekend’s festivities. And, for the 49ers, that meant a long journey from San Jose, California.
The team chartered N2749U for the occasion, a brand-new United 777-300ER with 60 lie-flat Polaris business seats, 24 recliners in Premium Plus and two large cabins of economy, with a total of 266 seats in a 3-4-3 configuration.
United marked the occasion with an event at San Jose International Airport (SJC), ahead of last week’s departure.
Cheerleaders lined a long staircase up to the 777-300ER, posing with crew members before the team arrived.
Then, it was time for the players to board, along with staff and other guests.
Although the cabin was likely in tiptop shape — this is a brand-new 777 after all — the airline spruced things up a bit more, adding 49ers flags, banners and other memorabilia.
The plane departed San Jose at 11 a.m. last Sunday, Jan. 26, arriving in Miami a bit over four hours later.
The 49ers needed more seats to get staff members and their guests out to Miami as well, so the team chartered a second widebody, N213UA, a 777-200 configured for domestic service, to get the rest of the group to MIA this past Thursday.
United also flew the Kansas City Chiefs to Miami, reportedly using a Boeing 777 as well — with far less fanfare, it seems.
A number of U.S. airlines also added service between Miami and both Kansas City and San Francisco for Florida-bound fans, along with upgraded service between MIA and hub cities around the United States, to accommodate Super Bowl attendees traveling from elsewhere in the U.S. and beyond.
Featured photo courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees