This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal D of Berlin’s Schönefeld Airport (SXF) was shut down on Tuesday after security officers saw “suspicious content in a luggage piece,” through the baggage X-ray, Berlin law enforcement officials said.
Luggage scans showed possible parts of a bomb inside, and a security alert was issued at about 11:00am on Tuesday, which shut down the terminal while the bomb squad could investigate the bag.
After an hour-long investigation, the bomb squad found that those “suspicious” items were not an explosive device, but actually a collection of various sex toys.
Police eventually called the bag’s owner over the airport’s loudspeaker so they could interview him about his luggage’s contents. But, officials said he was loathe to give straight answers about what was in the bag, maybe out of embarrassment, opting instead to demurely describe the contents as “technical stuff.”
Authorities reopened the terminal at noon.
Sex toys aren’t the only items that security officers mistake for weapons at airport checkpoints. Earlier this summer, a grenade-shaped marijuana grinder found in a carryon bag caused an evacuation at an Argentina airport, and the Transportation Security Administration issued a reminder that anything that looks like a gun, even a miniature lighter, cannot be packed in carryons.
The terminal shutdown at Berlin’s airport came the same day as a security breach caused a full evacuation at Frankfurt airport (FRA). Officials said that one person entered the airport’s secure area without having been screened.
Featured image by Spencer Platt/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees