This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal D of Berlin’s Schönefeld Airport (SXF) was shut down on Tuesday after security officers saw “suspicious content in a luggage piece,” through the baggage X-ray, Berlin law enforcement officials said.
Luggage scans showed possible parts of a bomb inside, and a security alert was issued at about 11:00am on Tuesday, which shut down the terminal while the bomb squad could investigate the bag.
After an hour-long investigation, the bomb squad found that those “suspicious” items were not an explosive device, but actually a collection of various sex toys.
Police eventually called the bag’s owner over the airport’s loudspeaker so they could interview him about his luggage’s contents. But, officials said he was loathe to give straight answers about what was in the bag, maybe out of embarrassment, opting instead to demurely describe the contents as “technical stuff.”
Authorities reopened the terminal at noon.
Sex toys aren’t the only items that security officers mistake for weapons at airport checkpoints. Earlier this summer, a grenade-shaped marijuana grinder found in a carryon bag caused an evacuation at an Argentina airport, and the Transportation Security Administration issued a reminder that anything that looks like a gun, even a miniature lighter, cannot be packed in carryons.
The terminal shutdown at Berlin’s airport came the same day as a security breach caused a full evacuation at Frankfurt airport (FRA). Officials said that one person entered the airport’s secure area without having been screened.
Featured image by Spencer Platt/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees