This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal D of Berlin’s Schönefeld Airport (SXF) was shut down on Tuesday after security officers saw “suspicious content in a luggage piece,” through the baggage X-ray, Berlin law enforcement officials said.
Luggage scans showed possible parts of a bomb inside, and a security alert was issued at about 11:00am on Tuesday, which shut down the terminal while the bomb squad could investigate the bag.
After an hour-long investigation, the bomb squad found that those “suspicious” items were not an explosive device, but actually a collection of various sex toys.
Police eventually called the bag’s owner over the airport’s loudspeaker so they could interview him about his luggage’s contents. But, officials said he was loathe to give straight answers about what was in the bag, maybe out of embarrassment, opting instead to demurely describe the contents as “technical stuff.”
Authorities reopened the terminal at noon.
Sex toys aren’t the only items that security officers mistake for weapons at airport checkpoints. Earlier this summer, a grenade-shaped marijuana grinder found in a carryon bag caused an evacuation at an Argentina airport, and the Transportation Security Administration issued a reminder that anything that looks like a gun, even a miniature lighter, cannot be packed in carryons.
The terminal shutdown at Berlin’s airport came the same day as a security breach caused a full evacuation at Frankfurt airport (FRA). Officials said that one person entered the airport’s secure area without having been screened.
Featured image by Spencer Platt/Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that