See the Red Arrows and Thunderbirds Aerobatic Teams Fly Over Manhattan in Rare Joint Display
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City isn’t known for air shows, but on Thursday, New Yorkers and tourists got a spectacular look at two of the top aerobatic teams in the world.
The Royal Air Force’s Red Arrows and the US Air Force’s Thunderbirds flew over the Hudson River in a rare joint display, as they moved between air shows. The event had been widely publicized on social media, and people had positioned themselves for it well in advance, like in the image below taken in Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan.
TPG editor at large Zach Honig was in position too, on his roof in downtown Manhattan …
… but we also sent our photo editor Wyatt Smith to have a look. Wyatt reports that the teams first came over the Hudson River north to south.
On the first pass, the Red Arrows, on a visit from Great Britain flying the veteran British Aerospace Hawk two-seat jet, led two Lockheed Martin F-22s and two F-35s from the US Air Force. Those aren’t part of an established aerobatic team, but the USAF gladly shows them off during air show season in the summer. (The F-22s are the two jets on the left and right in the rear formation.)
The F-22s and F-35s did not have smoke generators, a feature commonly found on airplanes specially adapted to aerobatic duty like the Red Arrows’ and Thunderbirds’ jets.
When will something like this happen next over New York? We don’t know — the closest you can get will probably be during next summer’s air show season, when another aerobatic team might do a flyover.
All images by Wyatt Smith/TPG except where noted
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.