See the Red Arrows and Thunderbirds Aerobatic Teams Fly Over Manhattan in Rare Joint Display
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City isn’t known for air shows, but on Thursday, New Yorkers and tourists got a spectacular look at two of the top aerobatic teams in the world.
The Royal Air Force’s Red Arrows and the US Air Force’s Thunderbirds flew over the Hudson River in a rare joint display, as they moved between air shows. The event had been widely publicized on social media, and people had positioned themselves for it well in advance, like in the image below taken in Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan.
TPG editor at large Zach Honig was in position too, on his roof in downtown Manhattan …
… but we also sent our photo editor Wyatt Smith to have a look. Wyatt reports that the teams first came over the Hudson River north to south.
On the first pass, the Red Arrows, on a visit from Great Britain flying the veteran British Aerospace Hawk two-seat jet, led two Lockheed Martin F-22s and two F-35s from the US Air Force. Those aren’t part of an established aerobatic team, but the USAF gladly shows them off during air show season in the summer. (The F-22s are the two jets on the left and right in the rear formation.)
The F-22s and F-35s did not have smoke generators, a feature commonly found on airplanes specially adapted to aerobatic duty like the Red Arrows’ and Thunderbirds’ jets.
When will something like this happen next over New York? We don’t know — the closest you can get will probably be during next summer’s air show season, when another aerobatic team might do a flyover.
All images by Wyatt Smith/TPG except where noted
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees