See The Damage An Engine Fire Wreaked on a British Airways 777 — Which Is Surprisingly Flying Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released findings on the 2015 incident that involved a British Airways 777-200 engine failure during take-off.
The NTSB found that the fire was caused by a fatigue crack leading to the detachment of main fuel supply line — causing a massive engine fire. Still, the root cause of the crack was still unidentifiable after 33-months of investigation.
The engine failure occurred in September 2015 aboard British Airways Flight 66 to London Gatwick (LGW) and left one crew member seriously injured and another 19 passengers with minor injuries. During the takeoff roll at McCarran International (LAS) the captain heard a loud bang and brought the airline to a stop 13 seconds later.
Photos were released Thursday by the NTSB showing the full extent of the damage the aircraft received, and they’re quite striking. What you’ll find even more surprising, especially after looking at these pictures, is that this very aircraft is actually still flying passengers around the globe.
The left engine and wing are completely blackened and burnt — with metal panelling peeling off the aircraft.
The fire seriously burned the aircraft’s fuselage and underbelly.
Going inside the aircraft shows how powerful the flames were — strong enough to burn through the aircraft’s thick metal fuselage and melt the areas around the business class windows.
According to Airfleets.net the Boeing 777, registered G-VIIO, was put back into service in March 2016, only five months after the fire.
During the aircraft’s evacuation, the NTSB report said the pilot made a mistake that could have turned deadly during evacuation:
The unaffected right engine continued to run for 43 seconds after the captain’s order, resulting in jet blast blowing two emergency slides out of position and rendering them unusable for the evacuation. The passengers and crew were able to use two of the eight doors to leave the airplane before smoke and fire encroached the fuselage…
Because the captain did not follow standard procedures, his call for the evacuation checklist and the shutdown of the right engine were delayed.
Investigators found that the GE engine cracked at 6,000 cycles, much earlier than the manufacturer had originally predicted. The cause of the crack could not be identified.
All images courtesy of the NTSB
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.