Security Breach Causes Complete Evacuation of Frankfurt Airport, Residual Delays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Operations at parts of Frankfurt Airport (FRA) came to a standstill on Tuesday morning after at least one passenger reportedly was able to pass through the security area without being screened. The issue has since been resolved, and airport operations have returned to normal.
At around 12:45pm local time (6:45am ET), Frankfurt Airport tweeted that due to police action, Piers A and Z in the airport’s Terminal 1 were being evacuated.
Julia Thiel, a police spokesperson, told The AP that “there were indications that at least one person entered the security area in area A without authorization, and so we have to clear the security area.”
Frankfurt Police tweeted that the evacuation of the terminal caused “an immediate boarding stop,” as well as clearing the security areas.
As of around 2:40pm local time (8:40am ET) — about two hours after the incident occurred — Frankfurt police tweeted that the evacuation was complete. “The affected areas are open and operations are in progress again,” the tweet read.
Video and images from inside FRA appear to show troves of travelers making their way out of the airport.
Airlines operating out of FRA, including Lufthansa, informed passengers of the breach via Twitter. While operations have resumed in T1, Lufthansa informed passengers that because its employees were required to leave the terminal during the evacuation, operations could be delayed waiting for them to return the the site.
Many airlines that operate out of FRA’s T1 are recommending passengers to check the status of their flight before heading to the airport. According to flight-tracking website FlightAware, FRA is experiencing an average of 45 minutes for departure delays.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.