This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kimpton is the playful and sociable brand within IHG. While individual Kimpton stays can be hit or miss, the brand as a whole is generally on-point due to its atmosphere and uniqueness — plus fun inclusions, such as evening happy hour.
One fun, periodic Kimpton promotion unlocks a free gift at check-in just by saying a particular phrase known as a “Secret Password.” This Kimpton social password is not always in play, but it just made its triumphant return in time for the summer travel season. At check-in during your next Kimpton stay (before Sept. 2), say “Off Duty” and watch the magic happen.
Two words: social password. It’s back! Just say ‘Off Duty’ at check-in, now through September 2nd, for a fun surprise from the front desk. pic.twitter.com/wWHwIUQaO3
— Kimpton (@Kimpton) May 24, 2019
TPG readers have reported that weaving the secret phrase into their check-in conversation to be both fun and rewarding. However, if the check-in agent is a little surprised or confused, just let them know you saw it on Kimpton’s Twitter account and hopefully the manager on duty will know what to do.
When Mommy Points and her family stayed at Kimpton’s Hotel Monaco Denver during last summer’s promotion, the secret phrase gave them a spin of the prize wheel that resulted in a family-pleasing free in-room movie and snacks!
Other Kimpton social password surprises we have heard of in the past include:
- A bottle of wine
- Comped parking
- Branded coffee mug
- Two drinks at the on-site bar
- Doubled Raid the Bar credit
- Room upgrade
- $30 dining credit
- Breakfast vouchers
- Hot chocolate kit
- In-room movie
Plus, remember that Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Spire Elite IHG Rewards Club members get a Raid the Bar credit when staying at a Kimpton property.
By far, the easiest way to get IHG elite status is through the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, which provides Platinum Elite status. The card has an $89 annual fee, but the annual fee essentially pays for itself if you make use of the annual free night benefit.
But, it doesn’t take any elite status to say three magic words at your next Kimpton check-in to see what sort of magic is unlocked: “Off Duty”.
Featured image by Benji Stawski / The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With this card you'll get IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status which more than negates the value of the $89 annual fee. You'll also earn 10 points per dollar at IHG hotels, 2 points per dollar on gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants and 1 point per dollar on everything else.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a free reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®