Search for Lion Air Flight 610 Extended for the Second Time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials from Indonesia’s search and rescue agency said Wednesday that the search for the downed jet from fatal Lion Air Flight 610 will be extended for the second time.
The 2-month-old Boeing 737 MAX 8 jet plummeted into the Java Sea shortly after takeoff on Oct. 29, killing all 189 people on board.
“We have extended the operation for three more days,” Muhammad Syaugi, the head of the national search and rescue agency Basarnas, told Reuters. Although smaller pieces of plane debris — along with the grim discovery of passengers’ body parts — have been found, officials have struggled to locate the plane’s main fuselage.
Searchers are also struggling to find the cockpit voice recorder, the second so-called black box that will tell investigators any noises in the flight deck, like alarms, and what the pilots discussed in the plane’s final moments. One location ping was heard from the cockpit recorder on sonar, but the signal was extremely weak, and authorities believe it could be buried in mud on the sea floor. A ship capable of sucking up mud will be brought in to aid the search.
One black box, the flight data recorder, has been recovered. Officials began pulling data from it showing the plane’s speed and altitude, both of which were erratic leading up to the crash.
Up until Wednesday, the search for the plane had been a multi-agency effort, with the Indonesian military and local police assisting Basarnas, the nation’s main search and rescue agency. But authorities said Wednesday that only Basarnas would continue looking for the downed jet. The agency will dedicate 220 searchers, 60 of whom are divers, along with four ships, to continue to sweep the 273-yard search area.
Featured image by BAY ISMOYO/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees