This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than four years after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared in the early hours of March 8, 2014, the latest search for wreckage has returned no new findings.
According to a statement from Ocean Infinity — the technology company leading the search by collecting high-resolution seabed data — “There has been no sign of MH370 in the Australian Transport Safety Bureau search area and further north.”
As the Associated Press noted, a 9,650-square-mile area had been earlier identified as the “most likely” section of the Indian Ocean to contain wreckage. Yet despite searching approximately 31,000-square-miles since January, the search effort has been unable to locate any wreckage or black boxes.
Based on the drift patterns of MH370 debris recovered from beaches in Mozambique, Mauritius, Zanzibar and elsewhere off the coast of Africa, the lost aircraft was expected to be resting somewhere in the south Indian Ocean, according to the AP.
“…Our technology has performed exceptionally well,” Ocean Infinity CEO Oliver Plunkett said in the statement. “And [we] have collected significant amounts of high quality data in which we have full confidence.”
After resupplying and rotating crew in Australia, the Seabed Constructor vessel will head back to the site for a final search before weather conditions halt the expedition around mid-June.
“Everyone at Ocean Infinity remains absolutely determined for the remainder of the search,” Plunkett added.
Featured image Wikimedia Commons.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees