This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than four years after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared in the early hours of March 8, 2014, the latest search for wreckage has returned no new findings.
According to a statement from Ocean Infinity — the technology company leading the search by collecting high-resolution seabed data — “There has been no sign of MH370 in the Australian Transport Safety Bureau search area and further north.”
As the Associated Press noted, a 9,650-square-mile area had been earlier identified as the “most likely” section of the Indian Ocean to contain wreckage. Yet despite searching approximately 31,000-square-miles since January, the search effort has been unable to locate any wreckage or black boxes.
Based on the drift patterns of MH370 debris recovered from beaches in Mozambique, Mauritius, Zanzibar and elsewhere off the coast of Africa, the lost aircraft was expected to be resting somewhere in the south Indian Ocean, according to the AP.
“…Our technology has performed exceptionally well,” Ocean Infinity CEO Oliver Plunkett said in the statement. “And [we] have collected significant amounts of high quality data in which we have full confidence.”
After resupplying and rotating crew in Australia, the Seabed Constructor vessel will head back to the site for a final search before weather conditions halt the expedition around mid-June.
“Everyone at Ocean Infinity remains absolutely determined for the remainder of the search,” Plunkett added.
Featured image Wikimedia Commons.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that