Sea Lion Waddles Onto Grounds at Oakland Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A flippered intruder waddled its way onto the grounds of Oakland International Airport (OAK) and provided an adorable distraction for airport workers early Thursday morning.
A sea lion was one of the legions of mammals (most others were human) heading to the airport on one of the busiest air travel day of the hectic two-week Christmas and New Year’s season. Employees at OAK spotted the young sea lion in the wee hours of the morning and called the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office to shepherd the marine mammal back to the safety of the nearby bay.
The sea lion was maybe looking to board a “flight to Hawaii,” the sheriff’s office joked on Twitter.
This little seal decided to pay a visit to @IFlyOAKland this morning. We are not sure where he was trying to go but likely a flight to Hawaii. He was very cooperative and deputies coaxed him back to the bay where he is safe. pic.twitter.com/Taa3VUXsv9
— Alameda County Sheriff (@ACSOSheriffs) December 20, 2018
The little sea lion, which the officers named Cruizin, returned to the airport shortly after he was gently shooed away. So, the sheriff’s office called in marine life experts to step in and help return him to the bay. According to local news station KPIX 5, Cruizin the sea lion was brought to the Marine Mammal Center’s facility in Sausalito, where he it will be evaluated for information like sex, age and any potential ailments.
“The sea lion will stay in the holding pen until Center experts are comfortable moving the animal into a standard rehabilitation pool pen to continue its rehabilitation treatment,” Giancarlo Rulli from the Center told KPIX 5.
Here’s hoping Cruizin booked that holiday flight to Hawaii on a card that offers good trip protection.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees