Savvy Saturday: The $112 secret Priority Pass restaurants don’t want you to know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: Some travel cards come with perplexing benefits that are tricky to maximize. This article is part of a series that shows you unique, fun and unintended ways to use your credit card benefits. If you’ve got any questions or have an example of a surprising way to maximize a credit card perk, tweet us @thepointsguy, message us on Facebook or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you haven’t read our post on how Priority Pass can single-handedly offset your credit card annual fee, check it out. It briefly outlines this trick and provides other helpful info.
Priority Pass is the golden ticket to access over 1,300 airport lounges, which often come with free snacks and alcohol. They’re tranquil airport lounge spaces with plenty of comfortable seating and electrical outlets. And plenty of credit cards offer complimentary Priority Pass membership.
Even cooler is Priority Pass’ collection of 50-plus participating airport restaurants. When you present your Priority Pass membership to one of these restaurants, you’ll get $28 off your bill. You can even bring along a guest to get an extra $28 off.
I’ll show you how to take serious advantage of this credit card perk and earn potentially $112 in free food every visit.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
The secret: Add authorized users
Getting $56 in free food at airport restaurants is great for you and your travel companion — but $112 in free food is even better.
Do you and your travel companion both have a Priority Pass account? If so, you can both get $56 in value at participating Priority Pass restaurants. If both your cards offer guest privileges, you can claim each other as guests at the restaurant. Here’s how it works:
- Enter a Priority Pass restaurant with your travel buddy.
- Order food and drinks.
- Ask to split the check, so you each receive separate checks.
- Hand over both Priority Pass membership cards and explain that you’ve brought each other as guests.
- Each bill will receive a $56 discount.
- Tip according to the original bill.
Here’s the sweetest part: Some travel credit cards extend full Priority Pass membership to authorized users, complete with guest privileges. If you add your travel buddy as an authorized user on your card, you can pay a nominal annual fee and clean up at Priority Pass restaurants.
A significant caution here is that Priority Pass membership received from an American Express card does not qualify for restaurant discounts. Here are the cards that do qualify:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: $75 annual authorized user fee.
- The Ritz-Carlton Credit Card: (not available to new applicants, but here’s how to get it anyway): Free authorized users.
- Citi Prestige® Card: (not open to new applicants): $75 annual authorized user fee.
The information for the Citi Prestige and the Ritz Carlton Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Obviously, this benefit is only useful to you if you travel to airports with participating restaurants. There are currently locations at the following airports (many with multiple restaurants) where you can use your Priority Pass dining credit:
- Seattle (SEA).
- Portland, Oregon (PDX).
- San Francisco (SFO).
- Tuscon (TUS).
- Minneapolis (MSP).
- Houston (IAH).
- St. Louis (STL).
- Indianapolis (IND).
- Lexington, Kentucky (LEX).
- Cleveland (CLE).
- Tampa (TPA).
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL).
- Miami (MIA).
- Boston (BOS).
- Syracuse, New York (SYR).
- New York (JFK).
- Washington, D.C. (DCA).
- Washington, D.C. (IAD).
Restaurant locations continue to fluctuate slightly due to the pandemic, so additions or subtractions could be made at any time.
Add your travel companion as an authorized user on your Visa- or Mastercard-issued Priority Pass credit card. Every time you visit a participating Priority Pass restaurant, you could collectively receive $112 off the bill. Free meals are a big deal when you’re hungry in airports, which are notorious for overpriced food.
And read our guide on maximizing Priority Pass restaurants for more details.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees