This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You’ve got a week left to buy LifeMiles with up to a 125% bonus, and now, even more reason to do so. LifeMiles is the mileage program of Colombian-based airline Avianca. But even if you aren’t interested in flying Avianca, it’s worth getting to know LifeMiles since it’s made itself known as the wholesaler of cheap Star Alliance miles and award tickets, as well as regular sales of discounted miles.
The latest sale allows those with a hefty LifeMiles balance to redeem for Star Alliance flights (think Air China and Asiana Airlines) with up to a 48% discount. You’ll need to redeem by September 18, 2018, but your flights can occur beyond that. Unfortunately, the redemption of miles for air tickets is valid only through LifeMiles.com and the Avianca Call Center. If you can’t find the award you’re searching for online, be warned that dealing with Avianca over the phone can be a trying experience (plus, you’ll be dinged a service fee of $25 or more, depending on the route).
Across Star Alliance partners, this deal unveils a number of attractive one-way first class redemptions:
- New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Seoul (ICN): 72,000 LifeMiles (a 20% discount from the usual 90,000 miles)
- New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK): 72,000 LifeMiles (a 20% discount from the usual 90,000 miles)
- New York (JFK) to Taipei (TPE): 64,000 LifeMiles (a 15% discount from the usual 75,000 miles)
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Seoul (ICN), Beijing (PEK), or Shanghai (PVG): 60,000 LifeMiles (a 20% discount from the usual 75,000 miles)
For those near-50% discounts, you’ll need to look for intra-Asia routes, such as economy class redemptions like Tokyo (HND) to Shanghai (PVG) and Seoul (ICN) to Bangkok (BKK). The entire list of discounted routes can be found here.
If you’re looking for the absolute cheapest mileage cost, Avianca’s “Club LifeMiles” monthly subscription plan still gives members a chance to buy miles as cheap as 1.39 cents per mile. And if you need to top off your account, remember that LifeMiles is also a transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Rewards.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees