This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You’ve got a week left to buy LifeMiles with up to a 125% bonus, and now, even more reason to do so. LifeMiles is the mileage program of Colombian-based airline Avianca. But even if you aren’t interested in flying Avianca, it’s worth getting to know LifeMiles since it’s made itself known as the wholesaler of cheap Star Alliance miles and award tickets, as well as regular sales of discounted miles.
The latest sale allows those with a hefty LifeMiles balance to redeem for Star Alliance flights (think Air China and Asiana Airlines) with up to a 48% discount. You’ll need to redeem by September 18, 2018, but your flights can occur beyond that. Unfortunately, the redemption of miles for air tickets is valid only through LifeMiles.com and the Avianca Call Center. If you can’t find the award you’re searching for online, be warned that dealing with Avianca over the phone can be a trying experience (plus, you’ll be dinged a service fee of $25 or more, depending on the route).
Across Star Alliance partners, this deal unveils a number of attractive one-way first class redemptions:
- New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Seoul (ICN): 72,000 LifeMiles (a 20% discount from the usual 90,000 miles)
- New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK): 72,000 LifeMiles (a 20% discount from the usual 90,000 miles)
- New York (JFK) to Taipei (TPE): 64,000 LifeMiles (a 15% discount from the usual 75,000 miles)
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Seoul (ICN), Beijing (PEK), or Shanghai (PVG): 60,000 LifeMiles (a 20% discount from the usual 75,000 miles)
For those near-50% discounts, you’ll need to look for intra-Asia routes, such as economy class redemptions like Tokyo (HND) to Shanghai (PVG) and Seoul (ICN) to Bangkok (BKK). The entire list of discounted routes can be found here.
If you’re looking for the absolute cheapest mileage cost, Avianca’s “Club LifeMiles” monthly subscription plan still gives members a chance to buy miles as cheap as 1.39 cents per mile. And if you need to top off your account, remember that LifeMiles is also a transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Rewards.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees