Saudi Airline to Hire Female Co-Pilots
The Saudi Arabian airline Flynas will begin hiring Saudi women to serve as co-pilots on its planes, it said in a statement.
CEO Bandar Almohanna said that the new policy, possibly the first among commercial airlines in the strictly religious country, will let Saudi women do their part to help improve the Saudi economy, Bloomberg reported Tuesday. It wasn’t clear how women would be hired, when the program would start or whether women were expected to eventually become captains on Flynas planes.
The airline’s announcement comes after the kingdom ended its longstanding ban on female drivers in June. Though many around the world lauded the end of that restriction, critics said it was merely window dressing on a brutal consolidation of power by Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman. Women still need the permission of a male guardian to marry or travel.
Foreign women have already been flying commercially for years in Saudi Arabia, and Saudi women have been allowed to obtain their commercial pilot licenses since 2014, when Hanadi al-Hindi began flying small and wide-body luxury planes for a holding company. But the Flynas announcement signals the first notable effort to integrate women into the cockpits of a Saudi passenger airline.
Founded in 2007 as Nas Air, Flynas, as it’s been known since 2013, has a fleet of 30 aircraft that run 1,000 flights a week to 70 domestic and international destinations.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees