How to Spend $970 Million Like an AvGeek, Why Amex Gold Is Just Right for Some and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, plus a few new stories. If you’re an avid TPG reader, you’ll want to skip ahead to the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed on TPG this week
How could you ever spend all of that money? Here’s exactly how a good AvGeek would.
The 19 hours that Editor-at-Large Zach Honig spent in the air got boiled down to a 90 second video.
Amex Gold: Not too hot, not too cold. Just right.
TPG’s Wallace Cotton wrote about what it was like to fly on a chartered commercial jet with other MegaDo attendees.
Don’t be fooled — the lovely trees’ premature arrival is due to severe weather conditions.
You might have to hand over an extra hundred bucks to make it into the Admirals Club now.
It’s all about strategy.
In Other News. . .
United is Canceling its DFW-LAX Route Next Year
Here’s what United told us: “As we continuously review and monitor customer demand for travel in all of the markets we serve, we have determined our service between Los Angeles and Dallas does not meet our expectations. . . United continues to serve Dallas Fort Worth through our hubs in Denver, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Houston, Chicago and San Francisco.”
With what’s left of Cobalt’s assets, the company will be paying its employees.
They intended to fly their guests out via Cobalt. “It’s supposed to be the happiest day of your life and you end up with all this stress and worry,” said the bride.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.