How to Spend $970 Million Like an AvGeek, Why Amex Gold Is Just Right for Some and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, plus a few new stories. If you’re an avid TPG reader, you’ll want to skip ahead to the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed on TPG this week
How could you ever spend all of that money? Here’s exactly how a good AvGeek would.
The 19 hours that Editor-at-Large Zach Honig spent in the air got boiled down to a 90 second video.
Amex Gold: Not too hot, not too cold. Just right.
TPG’s Wallace Cotton wrote about what it was like to fly on a chartered commercial jet with other MegaDo attendees.
Don’t be fooled — the lovely trees’ premature arrival is due to severe weather conditions.
You might have to hand over an extra hundred bucks to make it into the Admirals Club now.
It’s all about strategy.
In Other News. . .
United is Canceling its DFW-LAX Route Next Year
Here’s what United told us: “As we continuously review and monitor customer demand for travel in all of the markets we serve, we have determined our service between Los Angeles and Dallas does not meet our expectations. . . United continues to serve Dallas Fort Worth through our hubs in Denver, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Houston, Chicago and San Francisco.”
With what’s left of Cobalt’s assets, the company will be paying its employees.
They intended to fly their guests out via Cobalt. “It’s supposed to be the happiest day of your life and you end up with all this stress and worry,” said the bride.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees