Marriott and SPG’s New Loyalty Program, Allegiant Under Fire, Southwest Flight 1380 and More
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed this week.
TPG breaks down the new loyalty program between Marriott and SPG.
TPG Editor-at-Large, Zach Honig, lays out exactly what will happen with the co-branded Marriott and SPG credit cards after Marriott’s acquisition of Starwood.
A “60 Minutes” report revealed that low-cost carrier — and extremely profitable — Allegiant Air has one of the worst safety records of any airline in the world.
Everything you need to know about the engine failure on Southwest Flight 1380 that left one passenger dead.
It should come as no surprise that Captain Tammie Jo Shults, one of the first women to fly a Navy fighter jet, was able to safely land Southwest Flight 1380 after an engine failed and blew out a window.
Glenn Beck’s 52-year-old twinjet is the oldest operating airliner in the world, and it’s for sale.
The Russian Foreign Ministry is pointing fingers at the United States for taking too long to issue visas to Russian crews, which may end flights between the two countries.
In other news…
SPG 35% Discount on Points Is Back
Now through the end of May, you can save 35% on all purchases of 5,000 or more Starpoints.
Cathay Pacific to Launch ‘Restaurant-Style’ Business Class Meal Service
The airline will be offering this new style of eating onboard long-haul routes.
United Mileageplus Members Can Now Earn Bonus Award Miles with Simplisafe
Earn 5,000 bonus miles if you sign up for Simplisafe — a home security company.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.