Sapphire Reserve holders can enroll for Marriott Bonvoy Gold status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gaining additional perks with your credit card is fantastic. It’s even better when they come without an increase in the card’s annual fee.
As of July 1, those with the Chase Sapphire Reserve can enroll for Marriott Bonvoy Gold status. While at least one TPG staffer had been targeted for this offer earlier in the year, it appears that this is now available to all cardholders. Note that the status is complimentary, but it’s only temporary unless you complete some paid stays with Marriott.
Let’s take a look at this new cardmember perk, what this status affords and how you can keep it for the next 18 months.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
We first saw the new offer on One Mile at a Time.
Sapphire Reserve cardholders can enroll for Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Chase added this cardmember perk without fanfare on July 1. You can access it in your cardmember benefits by going here.
According to the terms, you must enroll by Sept. 30 to enjoy three months of complimentary Gold status with Marriott Bonvoy. This status level confers perks like 25% bonus points earning on stays, late checkout (when available), room upgrades based on availability and a welcome gift of bonus points at check-in.
From the benefit details page, you can enter your Marriott Bonvoy number and request your complimentary status. Unfortunately, this status will only last for three months.
Extend your status through February 2024
If you’d like to keep your Gold status with Marriott Bonvoy, you’ll need to stay at least three paid nights during the three months of complimentary status. If you do this, you’ll retain your Gold status through February 2024. Any three nights should suffice, but they must be paid stays — stays using points or free night awards do not count.
Additionally, there is no way to complete extra stays to earn a higher status. The only option is to stay for three paid nights and then retain Gold status.
Remember that both The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express come with free Marriott Gold status just for holding the card, so if you have one of those cards, you can get the same status without any stays required.
Gold status is the second-lowest tier in Marriott Bonvoy. It doesn’t confer suite upgrades or guarantee free breakfast. However, it can lead to upgrades to preferred rooms, larger rooms or rooms with a better view. I stayed at the JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro several years ago as a Marriott Gold member and received an upgrade to a larger room with a fantastic view of Copacabana Beach.
Receiving elite status for free is always a nice perk. Staying just three paid nights to keep this status for another year and a half is quite simple, assuming it aligns with your travel plans. You should also be able to match this status to other programs, which can help you enjoy elite status at other hotel chains.
Featured photo of JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay by Kathryn Romeyn/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees