This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many families, the most wonderful time of the year isn’t complete without a visit to the big man in red: Santa Claus. Our family believes that the real Santa is a busy man, so he can only visit a certain number of children in person. To see as many kids as possible, he heads to bustling NYC each holiday season where he hangs out in Santaland, a very festive place Macy’s created that feels like the North Pole.
Santaland at Macy’s Herald Square in NYC is a holiday wonderland where you don’t just visit Santa himself, but also wander through a 13,000-square-foot Christmas village comprised of an enchanted forest, rainbow bridge, trees, lights, snow-capped mountains, reindeer, train sets, Santa’s sleigh and oh-so-much more. More than 170,000 visitors make their way through Santaland each year, and in years past, the wait has gotten long. Hours long.
Macy’s has tweaked the process in the past few years and for 2018 Santaland is officially reservations-only. You can make free reservations online anywhere from 30 minutes to five days before your visit. This means that reservations are now open for Santaland’s opening day: Black Friday. Not only are reservations open, but they are going quickly.
On the busiest days, which are Friday through Sunday, you may also have the option to make your wait even shorter with a Santa Express Pass. This pass skips most of Santaland and sends you directly to Santa himself. If time is of the essence, this is a good option, but I recommend taking in the whole Santaland experience if you can.
While a visit to Santa is free, photo packages start at $20.99 (you can also take your own). I recommend paying for the photos at Macy’s with your Chase Freedom to earn 5 points per dollar (5% cash back) this quarter at department stores (up to $1,500 quarterly limit).
Should your child prefer a visit to an African American or Spanish-speaking Santa, just let the elves know when you arrive. Those who require special accommodations to visit with Santa can call (212) 494-4495.
New York City is especially magical during the holidays, so don’t miss the chance to visit Santaland while you are in town. Just be sure to make a free reservation in advance. If a family trip to NYC is in your future, here are some additional articles to point you in the right direction:
- Tips for Navigating NYC With Kids
- Use Points in NYC at These 5 Family-Friendly Hotels
- Best Marriott Category 4 NYC Hotels for Families
- Affordable Family Activities in NYC
Featured image courtesy of Macy’s.
Set your own sign-up bonus with the Discover It Miles card. Any rewards you earn in the first year will automatically be matched at the end of the year and you'll earn an unlimited 1.5 miles on all purchases with no annual fee.
- Intro Offer: Discover will match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 30,000 Miles, you get 60,000 Miles. That's $600 towards travel!
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates – fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Receive Free Social Security number alerts— Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No Annual Fee.
- Rates & Fees