Sabre Reservation System Outage Affecting American, Alaska Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 4/29/19 at 2:34pm: American Airlines says its system is back up. “Earlier today, Sabre had a brief technical issue that impacted multiple carriers, including American,” an airline spokesperson told TPG. “This technical issue has been resolved. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.” Alaska also says its system is back up. JetBlue and WestJet were also reportedly affected by the outage.
American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are both experiencing system outages that are affecting flights. As confirmed by an American Airlines spokesperson, Sabre — the reservation system that both airlines use — “is currently experiencing a technical issue that is impacting multiple carriers, including American.”
The spokesperson continued that the airline is “working with Sabre to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, and apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”
American Airlines has added a banner to the top of its website noting the system outage. Travelers are directed to contact American Airlines if they need assistance. Currently, there’s no wait when calling for an Executive Platinum representative.
Sabre confirmed on Twitter that “there is an issue impacting some of [our] customers.”
According to statistics on tracking site Flight Aware, 310 American flights, about 9% of the carrier’s flights Monday, are delayed. Alaska is listed as having 42 flights delayed, about 5% of its daily flights.
American Airlines flyers are currently unable to retrieve boarding passes, seat maps or other features in the American Airlines app. That’s particularly an issue as most travelers are relying on digital boarding passes and may not have a paper boarding pass as a backup.
TPG reader Todd is currently waiting to board an American Airlines flight from Philadelphia (PHL) and reports that flights are being held from boarding due to this outage. Gate agents announced to passengers that there’s a system outage and originally said that boarding wouldn’t being until the system comes back up. However, once agents were able to start printing manual boarding passes, the flight was manually boarded.
FlightRadar24 shows very few recent departures from the airline’s hub in Charlotte (CLT):
Stay tuned to TPG for updates to this developing story.
Featured image by John Gress/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.