Sabre Reservation System Outage Affecting American, Alaska Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 4/29/19 at 2:34pm: American Airlines says its system is back up. “Earlier today, Sabre had a brief technical issue that impacted multiple carriers, including American,” an airline spokesperson told TPG. “This technical issue has been resolved. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.” Alaska also says its system is back up. JetBlue and WestJet were also reportedly affected by the outage.
American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are both experiencing system outages that are affecting flights. As confirmed by an American Airlines spokesperson, Sabre — the reservation system that both airlines use — “is currently experiencing a technical issue that is impacting multiple carriers, including American.”
The spokesperson continued that the airline is “working with Sabre to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, and apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”
American Airlines has added a banner to the top of its website noting the system outage. Travelers are directed to contact American Airlines if they need assistance. Currently, there’s no wait when calling for an Executive Platinum representative.
Sabre confirmed on Twitter that “there is an issue impacting some of [our] customers.”
According to statistics on tracking site Flight Aware, 310 American flights, about 9% of the carrier’s flights Monday, are delayed. Alaska is listed as having 42 flights delayed, about 5% of its daily flights.
American Airlines flyers are currently unable to retrieve boarding passes, seat maps or other features in the American Airlines app. That’s particularly an issue as most travelers are relying on digital boarding passes and may not have a paper boarding pass as a backup.
TPG reader Todd is currently waiting to board an American Airlines flight from Philadelphia (PHL) and reports that flights are being held from boarding due to this outage. Gate agents announced to passengers that there’s a system outage and originally said that boarding wouldn’t being until the system comes back up. However, once agents were able to start printing manual boarding passes, the flight was manually boarded.
FlightRadar24 shows very few recent departures from the airline’s hub in Charlotte (CLT):
Stay tuned to TPG for updates to this developing story.
Featured image by John Gress/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees