This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Investigators say that two Ryanair planes flying over northern Spain were at risk of colliding midair at the beginning of October.
The Spanish Civil Aviation Accidents and Incidents Investigation Commission, an independent group that works with Spain’s Public Works Ministry, released a preliminary report Wednesday on the close call. The report said the near-collision was a “serious” incident, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais.
On Oct. 2, two Ryanair Boeing 737-800s were flying over northern Spain — one on its way from Santiago to Palma de Mallorca, the other flying from Seville to Toulouse. Near Pamplona, the two 737s crossed paths at a dangerously close proximity. The report says the planes were four kilometers (about 2.5 miles) apart horizontally and 122 meters (400 feet) apart vertically.
The anti-collision alert systems on both planes sounded. After the alarms, both cockpit crews were able to correct the aircraft flight path and the planes continued flying without further incident.
The FAA defines a near midair collision as an incident in which “a possibility of a collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft.”
Featured image by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees