2 Ryanair Planes Nearly Collide Above Spain in ‘Serious’ Incident
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Investigators say that two Ryanair planes flying over northern Spain were at risk of colliding midair at the beginning of October.
The Spanish Civil Aviation Accidents and Incidents Investigation Commission, an independent group that works with Spain’s Public Works Ministry, released a preliminary report Wednesday on the close call. The report said the near-collision was a “serious” incident, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais.
On Oct. 2, two Ryanair Boeing 737-800s were flying over northern Spain — one on its way from Santiago to Palma de Mallorca, the other flying from Seville to Toulouse. Near Pamplona, the two 737s crossed paths at a dangerously close proximity. The report says the planes were four kilometers (about 2.5 miles) apart horizontally and 122 meters (400 feet) apart vertically.
The anti-collision alert systems on both planes sounded. After the alarms, both cockpit crews were able to correct the aircraft flight path and the planes continued flying without further incident.
The FAA defines a near midair collision as an incident in which “a possibility of a collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft.”
Featured image by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees