2 Ryanair Planes Nearly Collide Above Spain in ‘Serious’ Incident
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Investigators say that two Ryanair planes flying over northern Spain were at risk of colliding midair at the beginning of October.
The Spanish Civil Aviation Accidents and Incidents Investigation Commission, an independent group that works with Spain’s Public Works Ministry, released a preliminary report Wednesday on the close call. The report said the near-collision was a “serious” incident, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais.
On Oct. 2, two Ryanair Boeing 737-800s were flying over northern Spain — one on its way from Santiago to Palma de Mallorca, the other flying from Seville to Toulouse. Near Pamplona, the two 737s crossed paths at a dangerously close proximity. The report says the planes were four kilometers (about 2.5 miles) apart horizontally and 122 meters (400 feet) apart vertically.
The anti-collision alert systems on both planes sounded. After the alarms, both cockpit crews were able to correct the aircraft flight path and the planes continued flying without further incident.
The FAA defines a near midair collision as an incident in which “a possibility of a collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft.”
Featured image by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.