This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Investigators say that two Ryanair planes flying over northern Spain were at risk of colliding midair at the beginning of October.
The Spanish Civil Aviation Accidents and Incidents Investigation Commission, an independent group that works with Spain’s Public Works Ministry, released a preliminary report Wednesday on the close call. The report said the near-collision was a “serious” incident, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais.
On Oct. 2, two Ryanair Boeing 737-800s were flying over northern Spain — one on its way from Santiago to Palma de Mallorca, the other flying from Seville to Toulouse. Near Pamplona, the two 737s crossed paths at a dangerously close proximity. The report says the planes were four kilometers (about 2.5 miles) apart horizontally and 122 meters (400 feet) apart vertically.
The anti-collision alert systems on both planes sounded. After the alarms, both cockpit crews were able to correct the aircraft flight path and the planes continued flying without further incident.
The FAA defines a near midair collision as an incident in which “a possibility of a collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft.”
Featured image by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees