How to make a Ryanair flight first class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You could say that Ryanair is the ultimate low-cost airline. On some routes and dates, fares can be shockingly cheap, often even less than £10 ($13) for a one-way ticket. However, outside of a randomly assigned seat on the plane, you won’t get much else.
That’s not to say there isn’t more on offer. Ryanair, like many other low-cost (and even legacy airlines these days), offers a wide array of add-ons to your basic ticket that can provide an incrementally more enjoyable journey.
This got me thinking, can you take up every option possible and some more, and make a Ryanair flight feel like a first class flight?
I booked a £14.99 ($20) Ryanair ticket from London Stansted (STN) to Madrid (MAD) and threw every bell and whistle at the experience to try to make Ryanair first class.
I crafted a ten-step plan to upgrade the experience:
- Step 1: Change into something smarter
- Step 2: Get yourself a fancy ride to the airport ($279)
- Step 3: Pay for the fast-track security lane ($10)
- Step 4: Buy lounge access before your flight ($31 or use Priority Pass)
- Step 5: Buy yourself a comfy travel pillow ($20)
- Step 6: Get priority boarding ($28)
- Step 7: Book seat 1A ($27)
- Step 8: Book another ticket and reserve an empty seat next to you ($48)
- Step 9: Order prosecco once onboard ($8)
- Step 10: Get yourself a quality meal ($7)
This didn’t come cheap, with a total spend including the original ticket of £14.99 ($20). You’ll need to watch the full video of our experience on YouTube to find out if the mission to make Ryanair first class was successful:
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees