Ryanair Employee Calls Customer a ‘Fat Slob’ in Facebook Post
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s widely accepted that Ryanair is no stranger to controversy among the aviation community. In the past month, the airline has faced on board drug use, pilot strikes and an incident in which Paralympian Anne Wafula-Strike was left stranded on a plane. And that’s just scratching the surface.
So, what happened this time?
The story actually begins long before the “fat slob” comment was dropped. Traveler David Bookbinder and his wife, Wang Yi, faced trouble boarding a Ryanair flight when Wang Yi was denied access to the plane due to an invalid visa.
In a statement to The Sun, a Ryanair spokesperson said on the issue: “It is each customer’s own responsibility to ensure they have the correct travel documents for their journey, as stated in our terms and conditions at the time of booking. Our records confirm that the customer in question was not in possession of a valid travel visa and was correctly denied boarding.”
Following the denied boarding, an article about the incident was published by DerbyshireLive and posted on Facebook. The issue was reignited when Ryanair employee, Lauren Coupland, shared her opinion about Bookbinder in the comments section: “I bet his wife was hoping deep down that she wouldn’t get on the flight and he would carry on his journey without her. I mean waking up to that fat slob every morning!”
Yikes. Coupland, who has identified herself as a Ryanair customer service supervisor, has since deleted the comment. However, Ryanair has yet to issue a statement on anything aside from Bookbinder’s original claim. Coupland has also deleted any references to Ryanair from her Facebook and social media profiles.
Featured image courtesy of Ryanair
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees