Russian Pilots Will Get Awards After ‘Miracle’ Landing in Cornfield
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Capt. Sully, of Miracle on the Hudson fame, may soon be joined in the hall of aviation heroes by Russian pilots who performed a remarkably similar feat on Thursday.
The Russian pilots safely landed a Ural Airlines A321 in a nearby cornfield after both of its engines were disabled in a bird strike moments after the jet took off from Moscow’s Zhukovsky Airport for Simferopol, Crimea. All 226 passengers and seven crew members aboard the flight survived the incident, and only one passenger remains hospitalized with injuries, The Associated Press reported.
Russian state TV had begun calling the incident the “miracle over Ramensk,” according to Reuters.
According to Russian media reports cited by several English-language sources, the captain was Damir Yusupov, 41, with first officer Grigory Murzin.
“We congratulate the hero pilots who saved people’s lives,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said to Reuters before adding that they would be given state honors. “There’s no doubt about this. They will be given awards.”
Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has asked the Russian Transport Minister to explain the incident to the Cabinet.
Featured photo by Kirill Kukhmar/TASS via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees