Skies Cleared Out Over Windsor Castle, London Heathrow Arrivals Halted for Royal Wedding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world had its eyes on Windsor Castle Saturday morning for the wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Among the wedding gifts the couple received: silence from air traffic. For 22 minutes, the skies over Windsor Castle were emptied out for the royal wedding.
It’s not uncommon for air traffic controllers to clear out the skies around high-profile events. And, Windsor Castle happens to be directly in the approach path for one of the busiest airports in the world — located just five miles away. When winds lead air traffic controllers to use London Heathrow’s (LHR) runways 9L/9R, Windsor residents are used to hearing jets pass just 2,000 feet overhead about once a minute.
On either side of the 22 minutes of halted air traffic, jets streamed over Windsor on final approach into London Heathrow’s runway 9L:
The last flight to fly over Windsor Castle before the ceremony was British Airways flight 154, a Boeing 787-9 arriving after a 4.5 hour flight form Cairo (CAI). The flight passed just south of the castle at 11:38am local time (6:38am Eastern Time).
The next flight wouldn’t pass overhead until just after noon local time, when American Airlines flight 98 arrived on a red-eye from Chicago’s O’Hare (ORD). The Boeing 787-8 passed just south of the castle at around 1,900 feet of altitude.
But, in between, there was blissful peace. No planes could be found for miles around:
During this 22 minutes, keen ears might have heard some engine jet roars. London Heathrow still allowed departures from runway 9R, including two British Airways Boeing 747s and one Singapore Airlines Airbus A380.
British Airways flight 93 — crewed by a staff of Megans and Harrys — wouldn’t take off for another hour. The LHR British Airways first class lounge was likely full of passengers named Megan, Meghan and Harry during the air traffic silence.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees