Check Out the Royal Family’s Just-Opened (and Surprisingly Affordable) B&B in Scotland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If staying at a castle owned by the British Royal Family is on your bucket list, get ready to book a room.
Earlier this month, Prince Charles inaugurated a new bed and breakfast called the Granary Lodge on the grounds of the Castle of Mey in the Scottish Highlands — and you might be surprised by how affordable it is.
According to Vogue, the 10-room property was renovated by the Prince’s Trust and Prince Charles himself was present for its inauguration on May 1. Each room was individually designed though, as you might imagine, they all sport traditional English decor. You can bet there’s plenty of chintz and botanical prints. Rooms are listed for £145 to £195 (about $184 to $248) and there’s plenty of availability this summer.
Fans of the Netflix series “The Crown” might remember that the Queen Mother purchased the then-crumbling Castle of Mey in the northernmost point of the UK from an elderly gentleman who could no longer care for the property. That was in 1952, and following her purchase, she renovated the 16th-century castle and vacationed there every August and October. When Her Royal Highness passed away in 2002, she left it to the Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust.
The castle and its grounds are open to the public from May 1 until September 30 (excluding July 24 through August 5), but now visitors can actually stay on the grounds. Those who do book a room will be treated to a freshly-cooked breakfast featuring local ingredients. The drawing room boasts beautiful views of the Pentland Firth and Orkney — an archipelago off the coast.
The Scottish Highlands are among the country’s most picturesque places, and visitors who stay at the Granary Lodge can enjoy the stunning natural scenery, spot puffins and other birds, sample Scotch at distilleries like the Old Pulteney Whisky Distillery and, of course, visit the Castle of Mey’s gardens.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to earn loyalty points for a stay, so book with a credit card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve that gives you 3x points on travel. The closest airport is Wick John O’Groats Airport (WIC), which receives flights from both Edinburgh (EDI) and Aberdeen (ABZ). But if you ask us, the castle would make a great stop on a road trip through the Scottish Highlands starting in Edinburgh and stopping along the way at the historic Gleneagles Hotel, which is a member of Leading Hotels of the World and a property where Prince William and Duchess Kate Middleton have stayed.
Featured image by font83 / Getty Images
This article originally stated that the Queen Mother died in 2006. It has since been amended with the correct date, 2002.
SIGN-UP BONUS: 50,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named "Best Premium Travel Credit Card" for 2018 by MONEY® Magazine
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®