Royal Caribbean will launch a new private island on the other side of the world
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cruisers have a lot to look forward to these days, with several new private island ports of call in the works. There’s Virgin Voyages’ Bimini Beach Club, Disney’s second Bahamian private isle at Lighthouse Point and Perfect Day at CocoCay — Royal Caribbean’s revamped private island, also in the Bahamas, which debuted in May.
Now, Royal Caribbean is doubling down on the investment — and the “perfect day” concept — with Perfect Day at Lelepa, Vanuatu.
While all of these private islands may be gorgeous, tropical hideaways, the similarities end there. For starters, Lelepa, on the island of Vanuatu, is on the other side of the world in the South Pacific Ocean, sandwiched between New Caledonia and Fiji. Most other cruise line private islands are based in the Bahamas and Caribbean.
Another departure point is Royal Caribbean’s commitment to create Lelepa as “the first carbon-neutral private cruise destination in the world.” Working in concert with Charlot Salwai, Vanuatu’s prime minister, and Cox Architecture based in Australia, the cruise line will create a port of call that highlights the island’s ecological beauty as well as the culture of this far-off island nation.
But, the cruise line did explain in a statement that the private island will be audited and certified by an independent third-party expert to ensure it meets the requisite standards.
Royal Caribbean insists that Perfect Day at Lelepa will not be a mirror image of its popular Perfect Day at CocoCay in the Bahamas, which is best known for its over-the-top waterpark including the tallest water slide in North America and a 1,600-foot-long zip line course.
Instead, Lelepa will focus on the nature and culture that’s endemic to this part of the South Pacific.
“Our guests who travel to the South Pacific are seeking authentic adventures and genuine relaxation, and they will find both here,” said Royal Caribbean International president and CEO Michael Bayley, adding, “[Because] our guests around the world all have different definitions for their perfect day — and all of them are right.”
Featured image courtesy of Royal Caribbean
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees