This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two million retweets is all it takes to have Royal Caribbean give you one of their cruise ships. Or so the Internet — and, we admit it, this website — was led to believe by a man named Dylan Baer, who tweeted a screen shot of a direct message between himself and the cruise ship company on April 2, asking “how many retweets” it would take “for a boat.” The company responded saying, “2 million and Oasis of the Seas is all yours.”
That’s what we thought.
We should have called RC to confirm that this was legit, because the cruise line tweeted soon after we published, saying that the guy had basically made it all up. All it takes to produce a fake Twitter DM, after all, is middling Photoshop skills.
Too bad it wasn’t real, because the guy got more than 553,000 retweets — and counting. He even received a response from Carter Wilkerson, the guy infamous for asking how many retweets it would take to get a year of free chicken nuggets.
Then again, it’s all for the better for the hoaxer. What do you do with it when they give you a 5,400-passenger “boat”?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards