This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two million retweets is all it takes to have Royal Caribbean give you one of their cruise ships. Or so the Internet — and, we admit it, this website — was led to believe by a man named Dylan Baer, who tweeted a screen shot of a direct message between himself and the cruise ship company on April 2, asking “how many retweets” it would take “for a boat.” The company responded saying, “2 million and Oasis of the Seas is all yours.”
That’s what we thought.
We should have called RC to confirm that this was legit, because the cruise line tweeted soon after we published, saying that the guy had basically made it all up. All it takes to produce a fake Twitter DM, after all, is middling Photoshop skills.
Too bad it wasn’t real, because the guy got more than 553,000 retweets — and counting. He even received a response from Carter Wilkerson, the guy infamous for asking how many retweets it would take to get a year of free chicken nuggets.
Then again, it’s all for the better for the hoaxer. What do you do with it when they give you a 5,400-passenger “boat”?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees