A Cruise Ship for 2 Million Retweets? Turns Out It’s Too Good to Be True
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two million retweets is all it takes to have Royal Caribbean give you one of their cruise ships. Or so the Internet — and, we admit it, this website — was led to believe by a man named Dylan Baer, who tweeted a screen shot of a direct message between himself and the cruise ship company on April 2, asking “how many retweets” it would take “for a boat.” The company responded saying, “2 million and Oasis of the Seas is all yours.”
That’s what we thought.
We should have called RC to confirm that this was legit, because the cruise line tweeted soon after we published, saying that the guy had basically made it all up. All it takes to produce a fake Twitter DM, after all, is middling Photoshop skills.
Too bad it wasn’t real, because the guy got more than 553,000 retweets — and counting. He even received a response from Carter Wilkerson, the guy infamous for asking how many retweets it would take to get a year of free chicken nuggets.
Then again, it’s all for the better for the hoaxer. What do you do with it when they give you a 5,400-passenger “boat”?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees