Royal Caribbean Closes SkyPad Attraction After Passenger Injured
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were hoping to take a jump on the SkyPad trampoline/bungee/VR experience on your next Royal Caribbean cruise we might have some bad news. The cruise line has temporarily closed the attraction following a passenger injury on board the Mariner of the Seas that sparked at $10 million lawsuit, according to the Miami Herald.
Casey Holladay, a passenger on board the Mariner of the Seas, was injured in February after the harness he was in on the SkyPad failed. Holladay fell some 20 feet to the deck, breaking his pelvis and dislocating a shoulder.
In a statement to the Miami Herald, Owen Torres, corporate communications director for Royal Caribbean International, said, “As part of our commitment to safety, we are temporarily taking SkyPad out of service on Mariner of the Seas and Independence of the Seas to conduct further inspection.”
Torres went on to tell TPG that, “SkyPad will be open for guests on Spectrum of the Seas when she makes her debut April 18, and features an updated design.” Torres added that Royal Caribbean expects to share news of the reopening of SkyPad on Independence of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas soon.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Royal Caribbean
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees