This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were hoping to take a jump on the SkyPad trampoline/bungee/VR experience on your next Royal Caribbean cruise we might have some bad news. The cruise line has temporarily closed the attraction following a passenger injury on board the Mariner of the Seas that sparked at $10 million lawsuit, according to the Miami Herald.
Casey Holladay, a passenger on board the Mariner of the Seas, was injured in February after the harness he was in on the SkyPad failed. Holladay fell some 20 feet to the deck, breaking his pelvis and dislocating a shoulder.
In a statement to the Miami Herald, Owen Torres, corporate communications director for Royal Caribbean International, said, “As part of our commitment to safety, we are temporarily taking SkyPad out of service on Mariner of the Seas and Independence of the Seas to conduct further inspection.”
Torres went on to tell TPG that, “SkyPad will be open for guests on Spectrum of the Seas when she makes her debut April 18, and features an updated design.” Torres added that Royal Caribbean expects to share news of the reopening of SkyPad on Independence of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas soon.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Royal Caribbean
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees