This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the world of commercial flight routes, there are many illustrious superlatives: world’s longest flight, longest US domestic flight, most profitable flight, fastest-growing aviation market — the list goes on and on.
AvGeeks can now add another title to the annals of record-setting routes: busiest passenger flight route on the planet.
That mantle was bestowed upon the less than 300-mile flight spanning between South Korea’s capital city to the nation’s resort island of Jeju in a study done by Routes Online. In 2017, a whopping 13.4 million passengers traveled the short-haul route from Jeju International Airport (CJU) to Seoul’s Gimpo Airport (GMP). According to CNN, the roughly hour-long journey is so popular, there is about one flight every eight minutes operating the route — about 180 flights per day.
The other top busiest flight routes in the world are also centered in the Asia-Pacific region. In fact, 70% of the top 100 most popular routes were based in or around Asia. “This research backs up forecasts that the Asia-Pacific region will be the biggest driver of passenger demand over the next 20 years,” Steven Small, brand director of Routes, said of the study’s results.
Routes tabulated the results by using OAG Schedules Analyser to compile last year’s 500 densest routes in the world by seat capacity, then used passenger numbers on those routes tallied by Sabre Market Intelligence to rank the top 10 flights.
Here are the other top busiest passenger flights in the world:
Featured image by Demkat/Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards