This Route Carries the Most Passengers on Earth Each Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the world of commercial flight routes, there are many illustrious superlatives: world’s longest flight, longest US domestic flight, most profitable flight, fastest-growing aviation market — the list goes on and on.
AvGeeks can now add another title to the annals of record-setting routes: busiest passenger flight route on the planet.
That mantle was bestowed upon the less than 300-mile flight spanning between South Korea’s capital city to the nation’s resort island of Jeju in a study done by Routes Online. In 2017, a whopping 13.4 million passengers traveled the short-haul route from Jeju International Airport (CJU) to Seoul’s Gimpo Airport (GMP). According to CNN, the roughly hour-long journey is so popular, there is about one flight every eight minutes operating the route — about 180 flights per day.
The other top busiest flight routes in the world are also centered in the Asia-Pacific region. In fact, 70% of the top 100 most popular routes were based in or around Asia. “This research backs up forecasts that the Asia-Pacific region will be the biggest driver of passenger demand over the next 20 years,” Steven Small, brand director of Routes, said of the study’s results.
Routes tabulated the results by using OAG Schedules Analyser to compile last year’s 500 densest routes in the world by seat capacity, then used passenger numbers on those routes tallied by Sabre Market Intelligence to rank the top 10 flights.
Here are the other top busiest passenger flights in the world:
Featured image by Demkat/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.