This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Construction workers have unearthed dozens of 1,800-year-old skeletons while demolishing a hotel in York, England, The Sun reported.
“The skeletons were found under the swimming pool,” said developer John Reeves.
At the site of the former Newington Hotel, which is being transformed into private residences, approximately 75 shallow graves filled with “men and women, and individuals of all ages” were discovered along with a collection of Roman artifacts.
According to a statement from the York Archaeological Trust, this isn’t the first time Roman cadavers have been unearthed in this area. The Newington Hotel (and its indoor heated swimming pool) sat on an extension of a Romano-British burial ground excavated in the 1950s, and mere yards from a collection of “Headless Roman” skeletons excavated in 2005.
York Archaeological Trust described the gravesite as “chaotic,” with bodies crowded together and pointed in all directions.
Interred with the bodies were a handful of ordinary objects, including pots, a jet-black stone pin, and a corroded copper alloy “head ornament” that left a distinctive green stain on the skull of the wearer.
“Roman burials have been uncovered by construction work in this area of York since at least the 19th-century,” the York Archaeological Trust statement said, adding that the latest discovery is “somewhat unsurprising.”
Featured photo from York Archaeological Trust via Facebook.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards