This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Construction workers have unearthed dozens of 1,800-year-old skeletons while demolishing a hotel in York, England, The Sun reported.
“The skeletons were found under the swimming pool,” said developer John Reeves.
At the site of the former Newington Hotel, which is being transformed into private residences, approximately 75 shallow graves filled with “men and women, and individuals of all ages” were discovered along with a collection of Roman artifacts.
According to a statement from the York Archaeological Trust, this isn’t the first time Roman cadavers have been unearthed in this area. The Newington Hotel (and its indoor heated swimming pool) sat on an extension of a Romano-British burial ground excavated in the 1950s, and mere yards from a collection of “Headless Roman” skeletons excavated in 2005.
York Archaeological Trust described the gravesite as “chaotic,” with bodies crowded together and pointed in all directions.
Interred with the bodies were a handful of ordinary objects, including pots, a jet-black stone pin, and a corroded copper alloy “head ornament” that left a distinctive green stain on the skull of the wearer.
“Roman burials have been uncovered by construction work in this area of York since at least the 19th-century,” the York Archaeological Trust statement said, adding that the latest discovery is “somewhat unsurprising.”
Featured photo from York Archaeological Trust via Facebook.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees