This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Construction workers have unearthed dozens of 1,800-year-old skeletons while demolishing a hotel in York, England, The Sun reported.
“The skeletons were found under the swimming pool,” said developer John Reeves.
At the site of the former Newington Hotel, which is being transformed into private residences, approximately 75 shallow graves filled with “men and women, and individuals of all ages” were discovered along with a collection of Roman artifacts.
According to a statement from the York Archaeological Trust, this isn’t the first time Roman cadavers have been unearthed in this area. The Newington Hotel (and its indoor heated swimming pool) sat on an extension of a Romano-British burial ground excavated in the 1950s, and mere yards from a collection of “Headless Roman” skeletons excavated in 2005.
York Archaeological Trust described the gravesite as “chaotic,” with bodies crowded together and pointed in all directions.
Interred with the bodies were a handful of ordinary objects, including pots, a jet-black stone pin, and a corroded copper alloy “head ornament” that left a distinctive green stain on the skull of the wearer.
“Roman burials have been uncovered by construction work in this area of York since at least the 19th-century,” the York Archaeological Trust statement said, adding that the latest discovery is “somewhat unsurprising.”
Featured photo from York Archaeological Trust via Facebook.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that