Nearly $1 Million in Jewels Stolen From Guest at Ritz Hotel in Paris
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Burglars at the Ritz Hotel in Paris reportedly absconded with nearly $1 million worth of jewelry on Friday afternoon. The jewels were stolen from a guest of the hotel, who reports say is an unidentified Saudi princess.
Paris police told Reuters on Monday that at least $930,000 in jewelry had been stolen from the woman’s suite in the hotel. She told prosecutors that the jewelry wasn’t in the room’s safe, and there were no signs of forced entry.
It appears that the jewel heist is the latest incident in a hotel robbery trend that has taken hold in the City of Light. Paris police have been cautioning travelers to be vigilant of wily thieves who target visitors inside their hotels, especially during the popular summer tourism season. Law enforcement officials issued warnings in July for tourists to be on the lookout for so-called “hotel rats,” or gangs of thieves who slip into hotels and blend in with guests to steal their belongings.
Authorities say the thieves target Paris’ popular hotel district in the 8th arrondissement, nicknamed the Golden Triangle for its upscale tourist amenities. The Ritz is located in this district on the Place Vendome. But hotels across the city and outer districts are at risk.
“They go to the big hotels in Paris, but also in neighboring towns like Courbevoie or Vincennes where tourists are also found,” Tony Mariet, an inspector with the Paris police, told Le Parisien earlier this summer. “Some of them join a group of tourists and leave with their luggage. Then there are those who reserve rooms under a fake name and go around rooms looking for safes,” Mariet said.
Although Mariet dubs the gangs of thieves “international professional criminals,” Paris police are doing what they can to stop the burglars from scamming tourists behind closed doors. Officials say they work closely with the hotels to catch thieves, and the police team responsible for hotel thefts questions about one gang of “hotel rats” each month.
TPG reached out to the Ritz Paris for more information but did not receive a response by time of publication.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees