Riot Police Enter Hong Kong Airport During Second Day of Protests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) has been at the forefront of pro-democracy protests taking place in Hong Kong. Flights have been disrupted for the second day in a row. In the latest set of events, police in riot gear were bussed into the airport in an attempt to regain control of HKG. Protesters erected barricades to slow the advance of the police forces as they entered the airport.
The latest reports are that police in riot gear entered the airport, which was followed by violent altercations between the protesters and police.
For the moment (middle of the night in Hong Kong), the situation seems to have calmed down, with a handful of protesters arrested as the police left from the airport.
In terms of those with planned flights to or from HKG a number of airlines have issued travel waivers for travel to and from Hong Kong International due to the protests.
Other airlines like Japan Airlines and ANA are recommending passengers check their flight status before heading to the airport and to allow for additional time due to the protests at the airport, but do not currently have any information on active waivers.
TPG is monitoring the situation at HKG and will update with the information travelers need to know as we have it.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Kyle Lam/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.